Stay at Home Moms
Options

My no-carb diet has stalled.

I don't know, carb-haters...It's been almost two weeks and nothing is happening. Three pounds went away like magic and then a pound came back, and now I'm stuck there. Starting to think that denying my cravings for warm, crusty french bread with butter and a pack of twizzlers are all for naught.

Mmmm....bread....

Re: My no-carb diet has stalled.

• Options
    Aw, sorry to hear that. How long have you been cutting carbs?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrs.Greg:
    Aw, sorry to hear that. How long have you been cutting carbs?

Two weeks, lol. But I want the miracle results everyone else talks about! The willpower it took not to eat the rest of the boys' chicken ravioli ought to qualify me for miracle results, I think. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageuscgirl1109:
    I did the no carb diet before and my body couldn't handle it, I fainted in my backyard. The only diet that I have ever seen consistent results is Weight Watchers. You can eat the foods you love as long as you follow the point system. I've been doing it since Feb of this year and have lost 20lbs. I would recommend WW to you if you haven't tried it already.

I've heard WW is great, but I don't have that much weight to lose. It would probably be overkill for me.

• Options
    Have you heard of the cabbage soup diet? I've done it in the past and really lost like 5 pounds in just one week. It's not for everyone... I love cabbage! Since you don't have a lot to lose, maybe this would work for you.

I'm sure I'll get some side eyes for suggesting it...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

MmMmm bread... 

What are you eating otherwise?  Are you avoiding ALL carbs?  Or just processed carbs?  (By this I mean are you still taking in natural carbs like those found in fruits and veggies?)  Are you tracking calories? 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    i have been virtually a carb free diet, but because of a gluten allergy ( I do not have Celiac)  But I am so much happier with out it, I do have an occasional cheat night and will have effects from it, like tonight I got a chicken quesadilla.  I am very much a raw veggies  and dip person, I snack on berries  and eat alot of fish.  I really dont miss it other than getting a good slice of pizza, but I like the gluten free pastas or make zucchini linguini
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:

MmMmm bread... 

What are you eating otherwise?  Are you avoiding ALL carbs?  Or just processed carbs?  (By this I mean are you still taking in natural carbs like those found in fruits and veggies?)  Are you tracking calories? 

OK, well, here's what I ate today, and it's typical of what I've eaten since I've cut carbs out. 

Breakfast - two scrambled eggs with spinach, a slice of deli ham, and a little feta

Lunch - spinach salad with low-fat blue cheese dressing (not much) and deli chicken on top

Snack - a couple slices of turkey and a handful of savi seeds

Dinner -  tuna salad made with a tbls. of mayo and a tbls. of pickle relish, over chopped romaine. 

No hidden carbs in drinks. Black coffee, water and crystal light only today. 

I'm pretty sure my calories haven't gotten over 1600 per day.

• Options

imageHav=Fath:
    If you follow the Atkins diet and stick to the plan the weight will fall off, it does for me when I do the plan (I normally do WW but have had great success with Atkins). The first two weeks is very strict though and limits you to under 20 carbs per day... it's NOT many at all, but if you follow it you'll lose.

I'm totally doing that! Not Atkins per se, but keeping my carbs under 20 grams. Unless I'm missing a bunch of them somewhere?

• Options

I don't think you were eating enough fat. I ate tons of fat lol, like homemade cheesecake with a nut crust every night. Also helps to make sure you don't eat past 6 pm so your body is burning all the sugar in your blood stream all night. This ensures you stay in ketosis. It's not the healthiest long term but it honestly works. I lost 20 pounds like nothing, in a few weeks. Typical day was :

breakfast: 2 eggs whites with cheese and hha

Lunch : turkey or chicken breasts with cheese, an apple, broccoli and some nuts.

Midday snack of a milk shake, made with 2 percent milk

Dinner : usually a huge steak with steamed vveggies always dessert, but before 6 pm. Either strawberries and whipped cream, cheesecake or ice cream. Sometimes dark chocolate.

i never felt deprived ever.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Are you eating a bunch of "low carb" processed food snacks?  

Are you getting enough calories?

What did you eat yesterday?

• Options
    imageMrs.Hizzo:
    imagesbevmc09:

MmMmm bread... 

OK, well, here's what I ate today, and it's typical of what I've eaten since I've cut carbs out. 

Breakfast - two scrambled eggs with spinach, a slice of deli ham, and a little feta

Lunch - spinach salad with low-fat blue cheese dressing (not much) and deli chicken on top

Snack - a couple slices of turkey and a handful of savi seeds

Dinner -  tuna salad made with a tbls. of mayo and a tbls. of pickle relish, over chopped romaine. 

No hidden carbs in drinks. Black coffee, water and crystal light only today. 

I'm pretty sure my calories haven't gotten over 1600 per day.

That sounds good.  I would opt for the full fat version of the dressing (less sugar ie. carbs)  Keep with it, absolutely no cheats as it will kick you out of ketosis.  You can cheat later once you've reached your goal weight.  I'm surprised you're not already losing more weight at 2 weeks with a diet like that.  It'll come though.  You  will probably find you will get a whoosh of weight loss all at once.  I'vwe done low carb for years and have done tons of research as to why it works.  It does, and metabolically it's so much easier than calorie counting.   

• Options
    imageHav=Fath:
    imageMrs.Hizzo:

imageHav=Fath:
    If you follow the Atkins diet and stick to the plan the weight will fall off, it does for me when I do the plan (I normally do WW but have had great success with Atkins). The first two weeks is very strict though and limits you to under 20 carbs per day... it's NOT many at all, but if you follow it you'll lose.

I'm totally doing that! Not Atkins per se, but keeping my carbs under 20 grams. Unless I'm missing a bunch of them somewhere?

I bet you're not eating enough. I'm not kidding... I was losing 2 pounds a day, at least (I have a lot to lose though) and I was eating a HECK of a lot of food. The first day I did the play a few weeks ago I had:

I think with Atkins you have to make sure to eat enough fats for it to work, I don't think 1600 calories with no carbs is going to work.

ETA: I don't typically eat so much bacon & sausage and the fatty meats when I'm doing this plan but I was fixing what I had available that day, later I got some healthier meats.

I'd also follow the list of approved veggies on the atkins website for the first two weeks. 

Yep, everything Hav is saying. You can totally eat full-fat - fat isn't bad for you! And you need a decent mix of protein *and* fat with low-carb. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imageNandaB:
    imageHav=Fath:
    imageMrs.Hizzo:

imageHav=Fath:

Did you seriously not eat a single fruit or veggie the whole day??? That can't be good for you.

Meh, a person could go their whole lives without fruit and be fine. Veggies are probably a bit more necessary in terms of nutrients. There are entire cultures who subsist on very little fruit/veg (and eat primarily animals and their by-products). 

DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    imageNandaB:
    imagenosoup4u:
    imageNandaB:
    imageHav=Fath:
    imageMrs.Hizzo:

imageHav=Fath:

Did you seriously not eat a single fruit or veggie the whole day??? That can't be good for you.

Meh, a person could go their whole lives without fruit and be fine. Veggies are probably a bit more necessary in terms of nutrients. There are entire cultures who subsist on very little fruit/veg (and eat primarily animals and their by-products). 

Ooh nice quote trimming ;o] I do not believe that eating only meat and cheese is healthy. There are also entire cultures that do not vaccinate their children and rely on religious figures for 'medical' care, but I wouldn't recommend that

I'm a professional quote trimmer! 

Those are different things to compare it to. Read Gary Taubes, he's great. 

This blog post sorta talks about the idea that fruit/veggies/whole grains are necessary for optimal health: https://garytaubes.com/2011/03/dose-of-intervention-land-of-dr-oz/

I was thinking of the Maasai people in East Africa. Their traditional diet consists of beef, milk and blood.

"Traditionally, the Maasai rely on meat, milk and blood from cattle for protein and caloric needs. People drink blood on special occasions...Blood is very rich in protein and is good for the immune system."

https://www.maasai-association.org/maasai.html 

DS1 - Feb 2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"