Georgia Babies

potty training advice

My daughter is a few months from 3 and has started taking off her diaper becasue she doesn't want to wear them anymore. But, she refuses to use her potty or the regular one. Any helpful hints on potty training? We're having a tough time getting started... Thanks so much!

Re: potty training advice

• We did it over Christmas break when I could be with her for 2 weeks.  She was 3 months shy of being 3.  I laid a tarp out on the living room floor and hoped for the best.  (I had new toys, so that really helped!)  I set a timer on my phone and every 15 minutes when it would go off, she had to go and sit on the potty.  She would earn 1 M&M every time.  We had more accidents on that first day, but it worked.  (She always peed right after she got off of the potty.)  Day 2 the timer went off every 20 minutes and she did better.  Day 3 was every 25 minutes and day 4 was every 30.  She pretty much had it down by then and only got the M&M when she peed on the potty.  We struggled with poop, but we are FINALLY good with that.  Now she just wears a diaper (not a pull up) at bedtime.  I used an app, Potty Time (we love the Signing Time program) and she got stickers and to call Rachel every time she used the potty.

Good luck! 

photos by Jody Lynn Photography

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did the 3-day method and rewarded with m&m's for #1, cookies for #2.  This kid will do a lot for chocolate, so the reward was key. 
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • With DS, it was a long process. We did 3 day potty training and that worked for pee with only a few occasional accidents. Poop took forever at least 6 mos before he even had 1 success. The book Everyone Poops finally got him to do it. Then he had a complete regression when DD was born and he got sick. Had to start over completely.

DD on the other hand was a breeze. Daycare started putting her on the potty. We did one weekend boot camp, and bam she was fully potty trained in about 3 weeks! Still in pullups at night bc she has rarely woken up dry so I think it's too soon at 2.5 to worry too much.

• We found a DVD called "Potty Power". You can get it off Amazon and it has great reviews. We had been trying with DS and it wasn't happening. But the same day we watched this video for the first time he was all about wearing underwear and no diapers. It's really a cute way to encouraging use of the potty. I watched it with him and played the "baby or big kid" game! So worth it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"