Natural Birth
Options

sounds made during labor

I just had an odd question to pose...  Did any of you sing out during labor, or do you know of anyone who has?  Because apparently I was the first one at the hospital where I gave birth to sing opera during contractions.  lol.  My doctor said that he had heard women react in very different ways over the years that he has been delivering babies, but that singing was a first for him.  And nobody I know has heard of it.  So, yeah...  I was just curious to see if anyone else out there did the same thing.  :)

Re: sounds made during labor

• Options
    Ha that's a new one. My labor sounds are far from a pretty musical note.
  • Options
    CelynCelyn member

I didn't, but I've had some clients who did.  

I love this youtube video of a mama singing through contractions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WA9iHz5ww 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I feel like I've read a post from another mam who sang through labour. Not sure if it was on this board or another.

I sound a lot more like a drowning cow. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    I was pretty quiet until it came time to push. Then, I made weird, high pitched chirping noises. My doula reminded me that low pitched would be better, but these were totally involuntary. I couldn't stop!
  • Options
    That is amazing!  I have never heard of anyone singing.  I wish I had been that composed and calm.  I was screaming like a mad woman and said the classic delivery phrase "I want this baby out of me NOW."
  • Options
    I sure wish I had sang! Instead, I made a lot of gutteral growling noises followed by some very high pitched "Owowowows". Then I'd drop a curse word and then apologize for it, ha!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    JJ_13JJ_13 member
    I've been told I sounded like a native american tribal chief (no offense intended) - lots of "yayayayaya yip yip yip bababababa" very very very loud and high. It was crazy. Pushing I was quiet though.
  • Options
    I've never heard that before' I've heard higher pitch noises have a closing effect and can slow labor, while low noises help the cervix relax and open. That's pretty cool your body did the opposite!
  • Options
    I sounded like a manly cave woman. Low pitched groans!

That's awesome that you sang your way through! I don't think I couldve done that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

That is too funny! I didn't make any noises until time to push. During that hour and forty five minutes I made one low groan. All the nurses in there kept commenting after about me not even making a peep. 

Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options
    April!April! member

Drowning cow sounds about right to me too. :) Though I was pretty quiet until transition.

At one point during pushing I was saying "OOOOUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT." In our room an hour or so after he was born my baby was making these " ooowwww" noises that he hasn't made since. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • Options
    Me too! I made all high pitched noises and the midwife kept telling me to go lower! haha... though I was pretty noisy through almost every contraction!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    skioskio member
    imageKateLouise:

I sound a lot more like a drowning cow.

lol. I'd say I was closer to this, too. Singing sounds awesome. And I am absolutely dumbfounded at the idea of anyone being able to keep quiet through transition. I showed up at the hospital at 9cm moaning like the above poor drowning animal. My doula keeps telling me I was so quiet and I'm like...for real? I was worried about scaring the other women in labor. I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. 

I cursed a lot during pushing. And growled.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"