September 2012 Moms
Options

WWS12D

Colby had his 9 month appointment today.  We have a new Pedi (finally!) so I was updating her on everything that has been going on with him.  His gross motor skills are (slightly) delayed.  He isn't pulling up, getting on all 4's or crawling yet.  She said that his muscle tone seemed well (he can stand if you hold his hands for what seems like forever) he is on track as far as fine motor skills (shoving all the exam table paper in his mouth) and he seems to be on track with his verbal and eye contact. 

I mentioned having EI come in to do an eval on him and she said at this point she wouldn't push it, but if I wanted to have one done she would support it, basically she left the decision up to me.  I'm so torn about what to do. 

Should I give it another month and see how things go?

Have EI come in and just evaluate anyway?

Just let him be?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWS12D

• Options
    LuvSDLuvSD member

Honestly, if your new pedi isn't worried I would let him be for now.

My LO has pulled up to a standing position only like 3 times and she still only army crawls around (hasn't gotten on all 4s to crawl). My doc was not at all concerned when we went to the 9 month appt.

imageimageimage

• Options
    BPerBPer member
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we have quite a few non-crawlers. I'd give it another month. DD started doing all of those things within a week, out of nowhere it seemed.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageHolly_1007:

Colby had his 9 month appointment today.  We have a new Pedi (finally!) so I was updating her on everything that has been going on with him.  His gross motor skills are (slightly) delayed.  He isn't pulling up, getting on all 4's or crawling yet.  She said that his muscle tone seemed well (he can stand if you hold his hands for what seems like forever) he is on track as far as fine motor skills (shoving all the exam table paper in his mouth) and he seems to be on track with his verbal and eye contact. 

I mentioned having EI come in to do an eval on him and she said at this point she wouldn't push it, but if I wanted to have one done she would support it, basically she left the decision up to me.  I'm so torn about what to do. 

Should I give it another month and see how things go?

Have EI come in and just evaluate anyway?

Just let him be?

I don't have answers, but Penny is similarly non-mobile (no crawling or pulling up, no getting on all fours). Our daycare offered us a chat with the EI, but I'm waiting to talk to our pedi on Tuesday. Honestly, I'm not too worried - she's hitting her milestones otherwise. But if the pedi recommends it, I might go for it.

• Options
    I would give it at least another month.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

These babies are still at the point where a week makes a huge difference. Honestly, Holly, I'd let him be.

If there are still concerns at the year visit (about these points), I would then consider EI. Boys are thought to be a bit more delayed than girls at this age with gross motor skills, and even so, I wouldn't consider Colby delayed from what you are saying. That sounds totally acceptable to me.

"Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    I'd let him be.  "Behind the curve" doesn't mean clinically delayed.  It just means not at the average on that stuff, and if your pedi isn't concerned, I wouldn't be, either.
  • Options

I would wait. Quinn was not getting on all fours, trying to crawl or pulling up either. JUST this week, she has gotten up on all fours, crawled a couple of steps, sat up from laying down and started trying to pull up on things. It's been crazy amazing to watch it all happen at once. I would give it at least another month and see what happens. I'm sure he will surprise you soon! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd just let him be for now. DD is the same way, she's not mobile at all. She won't even stand without us steadying her or unless she's leaning against something. She only just now became interested in rolling over (she did it several months ago a couple of times, and then never again until like 2-3 weeks ago). Her pedi isn't concerned yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know the full story and his background as I haven't been around for long.  In my area, it can take a while to go though the ECI process and sometimes takes a while to schedule an evaluation.  That may not be the case everywhere though.  Just something to think about.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In MA, he would need a score of 1.5 standard deviations below the norm to qualify. I believe they group motor development, so if he was doing well with fine motor and was a little behind on gross motor, he most likely wouldn't qualify.

There are two tests used for eligibility in MA. I have access to the types of skills they look at [i have the checklist part but not the scoring manual for the assessment since I used it for my thesis]. If that is helpful, let me know and I can get you that info. [not for you to diagnose your kid, but for you to look and say "oh, he can do most of those or is working on those skills"].

• Options
    We had a similar discussion with our pedi at my dd's 9 month check-up this week. He's not concerned at all that my dd isn't crawling or pulling up yet.  She just started sitting on her own without toppling over in 3 seconds a few weeks ago.  I was slightly concerned at first but after talking with our pedi I know she'll do everything in her own time. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imageameyer8009:
    Give it time. How's he sleeping? Is he feeling better?

for the most part he is sleeping through the night! If he wakes he just fusses and falls back to sleep!

We have started introducing meats into his diet and he tolerating that really well. haven't tested dairy or eggs yet though 

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    If the pedi mentioned an EI evaluation and not me bringing it up first, I would do it. There is no harm in getting an eval and I would rather catch things early and get started on exercises to help than wait. But if you mentioned it first and the pedi said you could do that but that she isn't concerned, I wouldn't schedule an eval based on that.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I would wait. Actually, I was in a similar situation and I did wait. DD didn't crawl until 11 months and didn't pull up and stand until 15 months. The dr. Told me the same thing at a year but I decided to give it some time. I think kids get there when they're ready. EI did give is exercises that helped but I wouldn't be in a rush.
  • Options
    I'd let him be. He's within the old normal range for crawling still because it goes through ten months. Give him a little more time, since all of his other skills seem to be on track.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Let him be. There has to be some kids on the low end of the curve or there wouldn't be a curve! DS1 didn't crawl or even really sit in his own until 10 ish months. He's a perfectly coordinated and active 6 yr old now.
  • Options
    DS is in EI and I can tell you if he doesn't show a significant delay or have a medical diagnosis they won't provide services. The delay needs to be like 3 months I think at this point...if you have him evaluated now and he doesn't qualify I don't know how soon they would be willing to evaluate him again....it might be like 6 or 12 months, which would stink if his delays increase. FWIW, DS is doing about the same as your DS and he only continues to qualify because he has a medical diagnosis, so I don't think it would be worth your time right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Because I was curious (geeking out) I went and looked at the assessment (the Battelle, which is one of the two they use) and for gross motor, for 6-11 months, it doesn't include pulling up, all fours, or crawling. Since he would need to test at or below the 6m level, he would need to not be sitting unassisted, or putting things in his mouth, or moving arms when a toy is in sight, and things like that. And I think I've seen photos of Colby doing all those things.

• Options

Guise, I'm super dumb.  What's an EI?  This is what I got from the Interwebz:

Indifferent

Also, Hollz I'm with the majority.  No need to worry.  :)

• Options
    imagedanab_sd:
    Guise, I'm super dumb.nbsp; What's an EI?nbsp; This is what I got from the Interwebz:"E.I." song, a single by NellyE/I, a type of children's television programming shown in the United StatesEi album, an album by Maija Vilkkumaa
    "Ei" song, its first single
    Eerie, Indiana, an American television seriesEnrique Iglesias, Spanish pop music singersongwriterExposure index, the film speed rating of photographic film as exposed[:]Also, Hollz I'm with the majority.nbsp; No need to worry.nbsp; : nbsp;

LOL.
    It stands for Early Intervention.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • Options
    imagelinzeek44:
    Because I was curious (geeking out) I went and looked at the assessment (the Battelle, which is one of the two they use) and for gross motor, for 6-11 months, it doesn't include pulling up, all fours, or crawling. Since he would need to test at or below the 6m level, he would need to not be sitting unassisted, or putting things in his mouth, or moving arms when a toy is in sight, and things like that. And I think I've seen photos of Colby doing all those things.
    Yes, he is doing those things, thanks for looking! I think that is what the doctor was trying to tell me yesterday. Part of it is that I compare him to Keagan ( who was crawling at 8 months) combined with the fact that everyone says second children do things sooner because they see their siblings so I just expected him to be doing more by now! thanks for the support ladies :)

• Options
    imagedanab_sd:

Indifferent

LMAO!!!! thanks for the giggle! Also? LOVE the new siggy :)

• Options
    imageorigamipoppy:
    DS is ahead of the curve for fine motor and behind the curve for gross motor. My pedi wasn't concerned at all. She said his legs and core are strong, some kids are just content to be where they are. FWIW, I didn't walk until 18 months and EI was never even mentioned. Some kids just hit different milestones faster than others.

This is exactly what DS is like, ahead on fine motor but no interest in crawling. He is trying to figure out standing but know we will catch him so he gets lazy about balancing.

I would give it at least another month.
    Little B 9.20.12
  • Options
    Kate's pedi said she did not care if Kate ever crawled she said it is not a milestone, so don't worry about it. Maybe you could do some activities to help with his motor skills and then if you see no improvements go in for an evaluation

View Full Size Image

• Options

OMG, Danab! YOUR SIGGY.

Also Holly, isn't Colby just now getting really happy/healthy with the whole tummy issues? Lexie was a bear until 6 months when we switched formula, she was behind because she spent most of her time in my arms trying to soothe her.  Give him time!

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • Options
    imageBootsyLou:
    I don't know the full story and his background as I haven't been around for long. nbsp;In my area, it can take a while to go though the ECI process and sometimes takes a while to schedule an evaluation. nbsp;That may not be the case everywhere though. nbsp;Just something to think about. nbsp;

Here as well. DD was a preemie, so she has delays in a lot of areas. We've done PT, OT, and ST with her. From the time you call to the time of the first appointment it takes about two months. And a crapton of paperwork.

From what you described he may be a bit less than 50 percent, but it doesn't sound as though he's delayed enough for services.

I'd wait until 12m, and if you still haven't seen an improvement, meaning still not crawling or mobile, not pulling up, not getting on all fours, then I'd ask for an EI eval.

Doing it now is just a waste of resources IMHO, clogging up the system for kids that are in true need of it. Hence why it takes a long time to get an appt.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    imagedanab_sd:

Indifferent

Aaaaaand now I have EI stuck in my head (andale, andale, mami ei, ei. uh-ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Also - I'm super late on this.... but Holly, I would give it another month. Sooo much changes soooo fast right now. I'm sure he'll get it all figured out in no time. And if not, then you can explore the EI option.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"