Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

4:30AM Bottle...WWYD?

For about a month or two my son has slept 7PM to 4:30AM. Prior to that he didn't STTN & woke up 1-2 times in addition to this 4:30 timeslot. He dropped those 1-2 wakings on his own. Currently, he always wakes up at 4:30, has a bottle and then goes back down for about an hour. In the last two weeks, that hour of additional sleep is getting less and less, most days up for the day at 5AM. He is cranky and fussy and seems like he needs more sleep. We have tried letting him fuss for as much as a half hour to ensure he doesn't need more sleep (he is not freaking out and I know he isn't hungry because this is the wakeup after the 430bottle). We have weaned from BF to WCM in the last three weeks. He drains the bottle at 4:30. He is 99% for his height and weight. Eats and drinks like a champ throughout the day.

Long story short...should I try to wean him from that 4:30 bottle since it's so close to his a.m. wakeup?  Do you think at this point I am supporting a habit or do you still practice the "he must need it if he's waking up for it and he'll drop it when he's ready" rule?  I guess I am just wondering if I wean him from the bottle, maybe he would get another 30-min-1hr of uninterrupted sleep?  I feel like the bottle is getting in his way of more quality sleep?  I don't care if he's up for the day at 5AM, but it seems to me if he could sleep until 5 or 5:30, THEN have the bottle and be up he would get in a little more sleep you know?  Thoughts or anyone else been through this/have it going on?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 4:30AM Bottle...WWYD?

• Options

You know your LO better than anyone else.  Do whatever you think is best. :)

If it were me, I might gradually switch bottle time from 4:30 AM to 4:45 AM.  Once that transition is smooth and consistent move bottle time to 5:00.  I found that 15 minute increments are nice for transitions for earlier bedtimes, so maybe that would work with wake up times.  Good luck!

• Options
    DD used to do this around the 11 month mark, but I really felt that she didn't need it and was just waking up because it had become routine. We dropped that bottle and let her CIO when she would wake up before 5am. It took about a week, and now she'll sleep straight through until 6am, sometimes 7.. It's really up to you, but I'd say that beyond a year, they don't really "need" the 4:30 feeding, especially if they eat/drink really well during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"