Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

5 day old and pooping a lot

Hi all, I'm new to this board but not new to The Bump.  I have a 4 yr old DD and a newborn DS.  DS is doing the typical thing of getting his days and nights mixed up and seems to constantly want to nurse at night.  DD was the same way. But she didn't poop nearly as much as this kid does!  DS is always farting and pooping through the night, which means even less sleep for us.  I feel like we are constantly changing his diaper which wakes him up even more and then he demands more feedings.  Is anyone else going through this?  Any suggestions on how to cope? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 5 day old and pooping a lot

• Options
    I agree with pp. In our baby care class the leader said, "you wouldn't wake him up to change his diaper if he pooped while sleeping, would you? So it's Ok to wait to change him if he goes while eating and falling asleep."
  • Options
    skioskio member

Yup! There's no easy way out, unfortunately. It's just something newborns sometimes do that the parents have to deal with. It's a huge PITA when you finally nurse baby to sleep and you think you're about to get a break....aaaand they poop. 

My only suggestion is to patiently try to get baby to go longer between feedings. I'm an advocate for feeding on demand for at least a few weeks, but I'm also an advocate for using other soothing methods when you know baby just ate and the issue might be something other than hunger. Happiest Baby on the Block is a good book for soothing. 

It won't last forever! Hang in there.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"