Pregnant after 35
Options

First OBGYN appointment

Hello All,

We have our first appointment this Thursday and I'm a little unsure what to expect - mostly how much this process directs itself and how much I need to know before going in.  I have a 15 year old daughter and things have changed quite a bit since my last time!  I was a little surprised that it took so long to get an appointment (3 weeks) and they don't seem particularly concerned about my age.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: First OBGYN appointment

• Options
    The best advice I can give you is to know as much as you can about your health and family history. You will have a lot of paperwork to fill out and the more you know the better they can be aware of what your risks might be. This will help them monitor your pregnancy. Good luck!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    My son is 20.  Yes, things have changed a lot over the years.  At my OB, I met with the nurse first who took a full health history and labs were drawn.  My second apt was with OB, who took PAP, did and internal and breast exam.  We discussed 1st trimester screening and second trimester screening.  I was given a packet of information about when to register for prenatal classes at the hospital, and miscellaneous donations from companies like Similac.   I was given instructions about nutrition, medications that I could safely take during PG and how to reach OB after hours, if needed.   I had recently had u/s at my REs office, so we didn't do that or hear HB at that appt.    Good luck!
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a FTM, natural, @40, and had NO IDEA what to expect; nor did I have other childbirth experiences to compare. You will get a quick vaginal exam and a blood test to start. I found out at my first appt. that I was already 9.5 weeks. The little picture was printed out there and I got a copy. He looked like a peanut attached to a circle (which I found out was the egg sack?). You will then have a monthly appt. at which the heartbeat will be monitored and no vaginal exam. At 18 weeks, I took the Verifi blood test (rather than an amino, which doctors now avoid if possible), which detects a whole host of genetic problems, like Downs, missing genes, etc., and my first ultrasound at 20 weeks. At that appt., I went to a laboratory, Quest, which shows you 3-D images of your child (no extra cost!), although 4-D is offered, too. 3-D is amazing! They printed out images that showed our son sucking his thumb!!! In the 3rd trimester, you will be tested for glucose levels to see if you have gestational diabetes and another blood test to see if you are anemic. Towards the last two months, you will go to the doc's every week, esp. if you are over 35, like me. Vaginal exams in the last month to see if you are dilating/effaced. I have an appt. today and my boy is due July 6th. Wish me luck--hope this helps!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! 
  • Options
    I had my first appointment at 6 weeks.  I was scheduled pretty quickly.  I had a vaginal ultrasound and saw the heartbeat.  I also had a urine analysis and pap smear.  I asked my doctor if I was technically high risk due to being 36 and she said no because I had no existing health conditions of concern like diabetes or hypertension.
  • Options
    I called a little over 3 weeks ago and this was the first appointment I could get.  I was a little surprised they couldn't fit me in earlier - my first trimester is almost over!
  • Options

imagetarheelpixie:
    I called a little over 3 weeks ago and this was the first appointment I could get.  I was a little surprised they couldn't fit me in earlier - my first trimester is almost over!

that does seem a little long to wait. Definitely start taking prenatal vitamins if you aren't already..

congratulations!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    Mine was pretty low-key in terms of the office exam - pelvic check, pee in a cup, weight and blood pressure - pretty much the same as most of the later check-ins.  My OB did order a bunch of blood tests for my first (failed) pregnancy last year to make sure we didn't have any genetic issues or diseases to worry about, but didn't repeat them this time.  Both times they weren't interested in seeing me until about 8 or 9 weeks.

Iris born Halloween 2013! 6 lbs, 1 oz, 18 inches long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 24bimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"