Natural Birth
Options

Birthing Centers vs. Hospital Births

I am getting ready to switch to a birthing center and am meeting with a midwife tomorrow for the first time. We have toured the facility and it's so beautiful and luxurious, I didn't want to leave when DH and I were there! Anyways, it's scary for me to think about not birthing in a hospital, but everything I was wanting led me to a birthing center and CNM. It was a scary decision to leave my OBGYN, whom I really did like!

Can anyone speak from experience their stories birthing in a free standing birth center? Are you glad you made that decision? Would you do it again? Any info would be great! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birthing Centers vs. Hospital Births

• Options

I am a person that doesn't like doing everything the hospital wants me to do, doesn't like having to push back and have a fight, and I agree completely with the midwifery model of care for a low-risk pregnancy. So, a birth center (and home birth) is a great fit for me (and DH once he got comfortable a few years ago with emergency measures available). 

I used a birth center for my first, and I wish my midwife had given more support for him being posterior at the end, and for the pushing that would have been required.  We transferred by car for an epi and ended up with a c/s for various non-medical reasons (which I also regret). I don't regret using the birth center at all, and wish he had been born there. 

• Options
    I have had three water births at a free standing birth center. I'm planing my fourth anytime now. I had to be transferred to the hospital after my first was born due to retained placenta but dispite all that I still would rather birth at my birth center then anywhere else.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    shiwayshiway member
    My first I transferred to a free standing birth center at 27 weeks. The best decision I ever made. I felt safer! And now I have been to several hospital births since as a doula and I can not believe some of the routine things they do. Like pushing always on the back and "mandatory" IV. Although you can refuse anything In a hospital is exhausting to feel like you have to fight for a natural Birth. And those dumb monitors and belts. At the birth center they used the Doppler only. So much more relaxed. My birth center is like a bed and breakfast. Just beautiful! And the midwifes are so patient and gentle. I labored a total of 63 hours about 15 hrs at the center never once did they make me feel like something was wrong with me or my body. Neither me or baby at any time had any health concerns. At a hospital they would have never "let" me go that long. I know in my heart I would have a csection In a hospital. But instead I had a beautiful birth that we the most difficult thing I've ever done but also the most rewarding.
  • Options
    I had a wonderful birthing center birth that was very healing after a difficult first birth in the hospital. You can read my birth story & see pics here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"