Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Finger Foods?

Hi there :)

Our LO will be 7 months old next week. He's really starting to take an interest in foods other than purees.

For example, tonight, we had green beans as a side with our dinner. I cut them up in little pieces, and he LOVED them! :)

It's okay to start introducing him to finger foods, right? When do you make the switch from all purees to all finger foods, or do you do it gradually?

I'm a FTM, so I am just looking for a little guidance :)

Also - what are some good finger foods to start with? TIA! 

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
11.2011 | First appointment with RE
12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Finger Foods?

• We started with purees, but she was not a fan. So a couple of weeks ago we switched to BLW. It's basically finger foods only. She's doing much better, she doesn't get mad at meal time any more and I don't have to buy her food.

With DS I started purees at 4ish months, this was almost 7 years ago-things change, and finger foods at 6. He had a combo of both until about 8m and then he just ate normal food. 

ETA Cooked veggies and fresh fruit are great things to start with. Remember their gums are really strong and gagging is normal. Gagging is not choking.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • This website is for baby led weaning but it will still give you some great suggestions and tips!

https://www.babyledweaning.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We do finger foods from the get go. My son loves nomming on spears of fruits, veggies, and meats. We give him whatever we eat as long as it's not unhealthy or salty.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageminervacullen:

We started with purees, but she was not a fan. So a couple of weeks ago we switched to BLW. It's basically finger foods only. She's doing much better, she doesn't get mad at meal time any more and I don't have to buy her food.

With DS I started purees at 4ish months, this was almost 7 years ago-things change, and finger foods at 6. He had a combo of both until about 8m and then he just ate normal food. 

ETA Cooked veggies and fresh fruit are great things to start with. Remember their gums are really strong and gagging is normal. Gagging is not choking.

This is similar to our situation.  WE started DS on puree at 4m1w and he was doing great, but around 6.5 month mark he started turning his head and clamping up his mouth when I went near him with a spoon. As a result of that, we switched to BLW mostly.  

We do very ripe fruits for b'fast and lunch.  He loves strips of mango, banana (cut in half lengthwise), peach slices, kiwi.  

Dinner-type foods he loves roasted sweet potatoes & butternut squash (cut in wedges or size of pinkie), he also loves slurping noodles/pasta.  He'll also eat strips of poached chicken, pan-fried white fish (eg, flounder), ground meat, as well as stew meats.  

DS gagged at every meal for the first week or so.  AFter that, he learned how to move the food around his mouth and he knows how big a piece he can swallow. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • as long as they've mastered the puff, finger foods are great.  We still do purees, and then usually finger foods at least 1 of her meals.  So far DD has had bananas, avocado, steamed carrots, steamed string beans, black beans, noodles (I cut up ziti noodles), tonight she's going to try turkey.  I usually stick with soft foods that she can gum. 

• I have been doing "finger" food sort of BLW since 6 mo. Our little one just turned 7 mo. I have given him bananas, you can steam fruits and cut into finger bites or finger size sticks. You'll be surprised to see how well they can "chew" . I buy our little one those gerber puff things and give him fruit. Today we were out and he wanted some of my rice and I let him have some.

i don't thing there is a set time when to start finger foods. If your LO is ready then that's the right time. 

1st BFP 10/11/11. MMC 9wks 3days.Measuring 6wks 1day D&C 11/15/11 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers "http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"