Special Needs
Options

Lurker with a question

Hi! I'm a lurker coming out of hiding to see if anyone on this board can help me find a quote/saying... It's something along the lines of "Don't become so consumed with raising the perfect child that you forget the one you already have." I love the sentiment and find that I need to remind myself of this often. I'd like to find the exact original wording. I figured if anyone could help me, it would be you ladies. :) Thanks in advance!

Re: Lurker with a question

• Options
    Have you read welcome to holland? It is your sentiment exactly! It's a beautiful poem.
  • Options

imageBumbleBee9311:
    Have you read welcome to holland? It is your sentiment exactly! It's a beautiful poem.

No, but I will definitely look it up!  Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagechristina_williams:

imageBumbleBee9311:

No, but I will definitely look it up!  Thank you!

So, I read it and now I am crying at my desk.  Thanks a lot. ;)

• Options
    I'm sorry! It is beautiful though right?!
  • Options
    It is.  I loved it.
  • Options

I have heard this quote before and have no idea where it comes from.

I "get it", but I am somewhat pissed off by it at the same time.

I am constantly aware of the child I already have. I am not trying to make him perfect. I am trying to make him functional.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    That quote applies to all parents, not just those of us who have children with special needs.
  • Options

For me, it resonates so much, because I easily get caught up with comparing my son to our friends' children or children at daycare.  DS has gross motor delays and I often become so preoccupied with wanting him to be hitting the same milestones and trying to "teach" him to crawl, walk, etc.

I have a hard time letting go of this corny captain-of-the-football team, class-president, ivy-leage-graduate vision...So I have to stop myself and say "Wait a second, that's probably not would I would have wanted for him anyways! And very well may not be what he would want for himself, delays or not."

We are not attracted to perfection in this life.  We're attracted to happiness and authenticity.  I just want my son to be happy and authentic.

• Options

imagethefuturemrskudla:
    That quote applies to all parents, not just those of us who have children with special needs.

I very much agree.  I'm still looking for the original quote, by the way.

• Options

I like this follow up to Welcome to Holland too..

https://babypelly.livejournal.com/97493.html?thread=228309 

• Options
    I love Amsterdam International. The author, Dana Neider writes "Uncommon Sense" and talks at length about the joys and trials of having a special needs child. She's really open about how it's wonderful and heart breaking all at once. She's one of my favorite reads.

• Options
    imagedcmetrobride:

I like this follow up to Welcome to Holland too..

https://babypelly.livejournal.com/97493.html?thread=228309 

Thank you for sharing this. The part about the partner resonated deeply with me. I'm afraid to share my fears with DH because I don't want him to be afraid. I feel like I have to be Zen about this whole thing because it will do no good to have both of us panicking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I found it, by the way:

?Don?t let yourself become so concerned with raising a good kid that you forget you already have one."   ~ Glennon Melton

Thank you, Pinterest.

• Options
    imageBumbleBee9311:
    Thank you so much for mentioning this.  I'd never heard of this before, but apparently my flight just got diverted to Holland ;)  Thank you.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"