Pre-School and Daycare

Why do you think they ask questions to which they know the answers???

Things that are blatant ("Are you standing up?") or things they asked 14 seconds ago?

In children who are not generally anxious, obsessive or otherwise-abled, why do you think kids do this? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why do you think they ask questions to which they know the answers???

• I think lots of reasons.  They like being silly.  They like consistency of answers.  They like hearing their own voice.  They want to interact with us, but not sure what to say (adult version when not sure of what small talk to make: "So, pretty hot out today, huh?").
  • DD's new thing is "is this our house" and as soon as I say no, she'll ask it again, when I ignore her, after about 5 seconds she asks again.  I think she's just messing with me.
  • Loading the player...
  • jc&catjc&cat member

imageechowysp2:
    I think lots of reasons.  They like being silly.  They like consistency of answers.  They like hearing their own voice.  They want to interact with us, but not sure what to say (adult version when not sure of what small talk to make: "So, pretty hot out today, huh?").

i like this. makes sense. DS does it all the damn time. glad to hear i'm not alone.

• I wonder sometimes if it's just them processing/understanding their world. DD1 constantly asks questions she knows the answer to - where's my sister, do we live here, is daddy at work, what color is my shirt, is that water, etc. I feel like sometimes she asks those questions over and over to make sure the answer didn't change on her and all is still right with her world.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I laughed out loud at "is this our house?"! Ryan is 3.5 and asks stuff like what is the goldfish's name, what my name is, what color my car is, etc all the time!
  • Today my two year old asked 100 questions like this.... "Are you driving Mom?" "Is this a banana Mom?"

No real idea WHY! I hate to think of it as annoying.... but it is :)

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AgoAgo member
    Ugh, my DD is totally doing this recently.  Same question over and over, and questions with obvious but difficult answers, but something she already knows (i.e. "What's a cup?" "What's a car?").  It feels constant.  The other thing is she gives commentary on everything but phrases it as a question ("Mama, are you throwing that cup away in the trash? Are you throwing that cup away because it has no more water?").  But she is still getting her sentence formation down, so rephrases the question, stops and starts over...it is good for language development, but all of these questions drive me bonkers.
    University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• DD does a version of this...everything I say she turns into a why question...

You're a good girl....why am I a good girl?

It's time for dinner...why is it time for dinner?

• I read somewhere it was a way of mastering new ideas. Like if someone presents you with a new language to speak you aren't going to master it the first time you hear each word. You will need to repeat many times. Same idea for the little ones.
    DS 10/27/09, 5lb. 15oz., 18in., Emergency C-Section, TTC soon!, hoping for a VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker <a href="http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/guineas12/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"