Natural Birth
Options

33wks planning on going.natural!

hi everyone : I'm 33wks with our first. I want to go natural... no epidural or anything. we have a childbirth class this upcoming Monday. We'll be delivering with a midwife in a hospital.I don't plan on getting a doula because they're kind of expensive. My husband is super supportive and involved, so I'm confident that he will be an excellent coach : I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice.. books we.should read, what I should expect and not expect... anything! I'd love to hear from you brave mamas that have delivered naturally before! thank you!

Re: 33wks planning on going.natural!

• Options

Congratulations!  I have had two natural births with a midwife in a hospital and plan to do the same this time around! I didn't have a doula either.  I'm not sure what your childbirth class will cover...my husband and I took Bradley method classes.  I know other moms have had success with other methods as well.  Whether or not you decide to do Bradley, I think the book Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon is a good read regardless.  You may hear that it is too late to do a Bradley class now since they typically take place over 12 weeks, but if it becomes something you are really interested in, you might be able to find an instructor in your area (check the Bradley website) who could give you a ''crash course" so to speak.

I don't know exactly what to share with you in terms of what to expect, because my two previous births were very different.  I will say though that even though it was hard work, they were both two very positive experiences.  Good Luck to you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My biggest recommendation is to get yourself ready mentally.  L&D is painful, it is intense, and it is emotional.  If you are mentally prepared for it then the first tough contraction or the intense back labor will not be a surprise.  It is important to remember that this pain is temporary and it is pain with a purpose.  I know that my L&D was unlike anything I ever expected. It was amazing but it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  It was also the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

I also recommend having additional support person like your mom, friend, or sister.  I know your H is supportive but men have no idea what is going on in child birth or what we are experiencing.   My H was as prepared as he could be since we took the Bradley classes and he read up on natural birth.  However, in the intensity of labor he blanked out several times.  Fortunately we had am amazing doula who got him back on track and was able to step in when he needed a break. 

I highly recommend reading up on natural birth.  Any book by Ina May is an excellent source of info.  I also liked Henci Goers book A thinking womans guide to a better birth.  It focuses on hospital births and talks about the pros and cons of various interventions.  I found it really helpful since I delivered in a hospital.  GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I delivered my first with a midwife in a hospital and plan to do the same this time. I would recommend reading a variety of things so you have a lot to pull from when you are in labor. I really liked reading natural birth stories so I had a lot of ideas on how labor might go (Ina May's guide to childbirth has a lot). I completely agree with what the pp said about not being surprised. I had read so much that I really felt like I knew what to expect and I was mentally prepared for it. Of course you don't know exactly how your labor will go, but if you know what things could happen you won't be surprised when they do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageaylafsu88:

My biggest recommendation is to get yourself ready mentally.  L&D is painful, it is intense, and it is emotional.  If you are mentally prepared for it then the first tough contraction or the intense back labor will not be a surprise.  It is important to remember that this pain is temporary and it is pain with a purpose.  I know that my L&D was unlike anything I ever expected. It was amazing but it was the hardest thing I have ever done.  It was also the most rewarding thing I have ever done.

I also recommend having additional support person like your mom, friend, or sister.  I know your H is supportive but men have no idea what is going on in child birth or what we are experiencing.   My H was as prepared as he could be since we took the Bradley classes and he read up on natural birth.  However, in the intensity of labor he blanked out several times.  Fortunately we had am amazing doula who got him back on track and was able to step in when he needed a break. 

I highly recommend reading up on natural birth.  Any book by Ina May is an excellent source of info.  I also liked Henci Goers book A thinking womans guide to a better birth.  It focuses on hospital births and talks about the pros and cons of various interventions.  I found it really helpful since I delivered in a hospital.  GL!

I had a home watter birth with 3 midwives and a doula, and second everything this poster said! I would recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I would also hoghly recommend a doula, they are worth every penny. My doula was an amazing coach and it allowed for my DH to just "be there" for me, holding me and never leaving my side.

You will do awesome! I delivered a 9lbs 8oz 21" long baby and before baby I was 5'5 and 120lbs. I am also deathly afraid of needles and think paper cuts are the worst! I delivered in water and had no tears. I highly recommend researching and starting perrenial massage right now if you haven't already. Also google positive birth affirmations and find ones that really speak to you so that you can use them as your "mantras" during the intense times.

L&D is tough work, but I would describe the process in my experience as INTENSE discomfort, not so much sheer pain. Sheer pain to me was the leg cramps in my calf during third tri!

Congratulations on your LO and I wish you all the best in your plans for a natural L&D!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you so much, ladies!!!! I'm going to buy a couple of books and definitely look into everything that each of you suggested  :-) thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Options
    This wasn't my post but thank you for the thoughtful replies! Now I don't have to ask the same question. I'm 20 weeks 5 days and just started considering a natural birth. I'm going to the book store tomorrow!
  • Options
    I suggest you and your husband become as educated as you can about the entire labor process. Learn about the stages of labor. Make sure DH learns how to read your body language throughout labor so he can have an idea where you are at and what is next. Both of you should educate yourselves on the types of interventions there are and when they are necessary and when they are not. Make sure DH understands what to expect when you are in transition. Let him know how you will feel supported..like if you just want him quiet or things that you know he could say to help you like reminding you your baby is coming soon or you are doing great or whatever will help you and what wont help you. Like I know that I will want to be told what to do instead of asked...don't give me options just tell me to move positions or whatever it may be.
    The bradley method books are really good too! Get educated and know your body can do this! Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm also 33 weeks as a FTM, so thank you for this post! And for all the ladies who responded with some great advice. I will be ordering Ina Mae's book on L&D, and also on Breastfeeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"