Babies: 6 - 9 Months

honey?

I know infants aren't supposed to have honey. But does anyone know if that means straight honey (like on toast) or does that also include recipes that have a little honey in it? We're doing BLW and my DH wants to make bbq chicken but the sauce includes 2 tablespoons of honey. Also, if the sauce just goes on the outside of the chicken do you think it would be ok to give our LO some of the inside met that the sauce doesn't come in direct contact with?

TIA!

Re: honey?

• I wouldn't risk it.  No honey means no honey - doesn't matter if it's mixed with something else.
  • I wouldn't risk it. Honey is the only thing I'm staying away from!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't. The risk is botulism. Botulinum spores aren't kill by pasteurization, so they won't be killed by cooking either. In general I love honey and hate corn syrup, but I've been using corn syrup as a substitute for my honey garlic ribs so LO could eat them and its worked well for taste and consistency.
  • MrsRJCMrsRJC member

imageForeverEverAfter:
    I wouldn't. The risk is botulism. Botulinum spores aren't kill by pasteurization, so they won't be killed by cooking either. In general I love honey and hate corn syrup, but I've been using corn syrup as a substitute for my honey garlic ribs so LO could eat them and its worked well for taste and consistency.

I didn't even think about using corn syrup. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I'm pretty laid back about the recommendations for kiddos but honey makes me so nervous.  I will continue to avoid it and look for substitutions.

Thanks everyone!

• Actually corn syrup has a risk of containing botulism spores as well.  From my research the safest sweetener is maple syrup. 

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/infantbotulismhoney.htm#.Uc3k453D9Ds

• Whether corn syrup is safe or not, it's much better to use maple syrup anyway!
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • MrsRJCMrsRJC member

imagepb_bride:
    Whether corn syrup is safe or not, it's much better to use maple syrup anyway!

Great idea! 

Does anyone know if agave is safe? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"