Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Heartbreaking - PSA

A child (two year old) in the town that I live in was accidentally left in a car during a heatwave two days ago and sadly didn't make it.  Such a disgusting and heartbreaking story. My first reaction was rage... who did this? how could they be so stupid? They should be left in a car to die... and then somebody pointed out this article to me and it changed my view

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html?sid=ST2009030602446

(Sorry it's not clicky, I'm on a mac and don't know how to fix it)

Anyway, the point of this post was to point out this article because it literally shocked me and made me realize that life is so, so busy sometimes and it's just so important to focus on our little ones no matter what.  Maybe make it a habit to check the backseat of your car even if you KNOW your baby isn't in there. A change in routine and distractions and before you know it, tragedy.

A statistic said every year this happens around 26 times in the US and this year is already at 15 and we are only in June.... people leave their pets too (although to me that is more intentional since you CHOSE to bring your dog with you when you shouldn't have).

There is no excuse for this at all and it is just devastating to hear about this but this article opened my eyes and literally scared me. The day after this two year old died, I heard about another child left in a car about 50 minutes from here (who was rescued by somebody who found him and is ok).  This has got to stop!

I am going to post this on a few boards just to raise awareness. 

Re: Heartbreaking - PSA

• I read a similar article after I had DS in November. I also didn't know how anyone could forget their baby. Well, after a month or so of exhaustion and still trying to get the gang of things, I realized how easily I was forgetting so many things. Now I keep my purse in the back seat. Along with my phone, it keeps it out of my hands, making me a safer driver.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I make sure to keep something in the back seat too - just so I know I'm going to go back there.

• Loading the player...
  • It's heartbreaking to hear these, but serves as a constant reminder to focus on our children, not being late to work or money problems or whatever else comes up while transporting our little ones. 

DH and I discussed this a few weeks after our son was born and we decided to put our cell phones in the carrier with our son (we don't use them while driving anyway; course now he is old enough he plays with it, so we put it right next to the carrier. I also put my purse right next to it. Both him and I are pretty attached to our phones so we would never (likely would never) leave our cars without it.  

Those poor parents, the daily torture they must endure now for the rest of their lives. So very sad.  

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• My LO is 8 months old and last week my mother threw her keys in her purse, got out other the walk around the other side to get LO and realized she had accidentally locked the doors without thinking.  Fortunately she was in my driveway and DH was home to help.  But it does make you think about how busy life is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • imagejobiann:

It's heartbreaking to hear these, but serves as a constant reminder to focus on our children, not being late to work or money problems or whatever else comes up while transporting our little ones. 

DH and I discussed this a few weeks after our son was born and we decided to put our cell phones in the carrier with our son (we don't use them while driving anyway; course now he is old enough he plays with it, so we put it right next to the carrier. I also put my purse right next to it. Both him and I are pretty attached to our phones so we would never (likely would never) leave our cars without it.  

Those poor parents, the daily torture they must endure now for the rest of their lives. So very sad.  

This is a great idea! 

• Oh my God, so incredibly heartbreaking.  That poor baby and father.  To think of what the baby went through and that the father has to think of it and live with it his entire life turns my stomach.

When these stories pop up, which they always do, usually there are many to jump in and say they could never, ever, ever forget their child in the car. I just want to shake them. This man made a horrible mistake but it was truly a mistake.  Often the cases are men who rarely, if ever, are responsible for dropping the child off at daycare.  They're driving to the office with tons on their mind, get out of the car and go into work just like every day - on autopilot - and they forget.  It's horrible, but I don't understand why people find it so hard to believe it can happen.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"