3rd Trimester

2 cm dilated, 60% effaced and -2 station?

Can anyone explain this? I went to the hospital today for cramps and back pain. They put a monitor on my belly to check the heartbeat and for contractions. My contractions were 10-15 minutes apart but we're irregular so they sent me home. She checked my cervix, and I've been bleeding, losing some stringy membrane looking things for about two hours now. Blood clots but not extremely dark. Like a medium red color. I am 2cm dilated, 60% effaced and at a -2 ...not sure what the -2 means. I was shaking so bad when she was telling me because I freaked out thinking that my baby was coming soon. I'm sorry if this was too graphic (:   thank you ladies!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 2 cm dilated, 60% effaced and -2 station?

• was also told that she could pretty much feel her head, said she's extremely LOW. I'm just all confused. I'm a FTM of course.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Why do people keep leaving the doctor's office without understanding what they are told? I see posts like this all the time, and I just don't understand that!

Stations are explained here: https://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbasics/g/station.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Loading the player...
  • 2cm dilated is referring to how open your cervix is

60% effaced is referring to how thin your cervix is

-2 station is refining to where in your pelvis the baby's head is 

Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry, referring, not refining
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

TTC since Oct 2011

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL

• What recommendation did you get as a result of this progress? How many weeks are you? Did you ask them what any of that meant?

Here's a visual for the -2 station you were given, it's the baby's vertical position in relation to the two inner pelvic bones. 

https://iv.nucleusinc.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=9390&A=1029

• Remember you're body has a natural process to go through, try to relax by taking a walk, a bath or do chores to keep yourself busy and your mind from worrying. You could take castor oil to speed things up naturally If you are full term. If you pray, ask for Gods peace. : hope all goes well for you
  • imagerobynloureed:
    imageMommyKristin88:

Why do people keep leaving the doctor's office without understanding what they are told? I see posts like this all the time, and I just don't understand that!

Stations are explained here: https://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbasics/g/station.htm

This. Seriously. And they would rather ask internet strangers. I don't get it.

Agree. Why in the world wouldn't you ask your doctor that is RIGHT THERE these very important questions???? 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't get why people are jumping all over OP for a totally legit question (agreed, she could have asked in l&d, but said she was totally overwhelmed - we've all been there one time or another), but think asking people to post embarrassing stories about their SOs is totally fine....

OP, you should call your doc back and ask for clarification and next steps.  Good luck! 

Natural m/c Oct. 2005

TTC since Oct 2011

• imageCNYBride05:

I don't get why people are jumping all over OP for a totally legit question (agreed, she could have asked in l&d, but said she was totally overwhelmed - we've all been there one time or another), but think asking people to post embarrassing stories about their SOs is totally fine....

OP, you should call your doc back and ask for clarification and next steps.  Good luck! 

I don't think anyone is jumping on the OP. I think we are exclaiming, in general, that these types of questions are all over the place. It makes no sense to jump on the internet and ask when you can call your doc. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• As PP said your cervix is 2cm dilated open, 60 effaced thin and baby is at a negative 2 station which is how low baby is sitting into your pelvis. You most likely are bleeding due to the cervix check which is not uncommon. I've bled a ton afterward and its taken 3 days until I stopped seeing old blood.

Contractions every 10 to 15 minutes is definitely not active labor so even if they weren't sporadic they would have sent you home anyways. Usually the rule is 5 minutes apart, holding 1 minute, for at least 1 hour.

I can't see how far along you are since I'm mobile but you may or may not see baby anytime soon. Labor is a fickle thing and does what it wants really. I've been making progress since 33 weeks and now am currently at 3cm, 80 effaced and 2 station and here I sit.

ETA: stupid mobile and lack of punctuation
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well it's pretty hard to ask questions to anybody...
    I went into the hospital because that's where I see my doctor at, and I did ask them these questions but when you're a first time mom, you're not even feeling the contractions that they say you are having, etc, it's a little scary. I've been having contractions (yeah, I realize that 10-15 minutes apart is irrelevant) but I am totally clueless right now when the doctor there just sent me home and said it could be up to 3 weeks or it could be tonight. I guess I have a fault where I don't ask questions when a trained professional gives me a short answer. I DO read books and try to keep myself educated but with working a full time job and trying to juggle school at the same time, I'm a little tired to keep up on it every single day. I was hoping someone on here has been in this position at some point and would let me know their experience. I should've clarified obviously. I guess with all of this on my mind, I forgot to give more important details. I am 36 weeks, my due date is July 22nd, and I was just told that most likely, I would have this baby before that day. So I was a little freaked out, and I tend to turn to the online community for answers/support/someone to chat with. I know what 2cm dilated means, I know what 60% effaced means (thank you to whom clarified that for me anyways), but I was confused about the -2 station...and was wondering if the cramps I feel still and the spotting is normal? Yeah I could read about it somewhere else but I figured getting real life advice would be better than reading it off of somewhere it could be wrong.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageRumbleLina:
    As PP said your cervix is 2cm dilated open, 60 effaced thin and baby is at a negative 2 station which is how low baby is sitting into your pelvis. You most likely are bleeding due to the cervix check which is not uncommon. I've bled a ton afterward and its taken 3 days until I stopped seeing old blood. Contractions every 10 to 15 minutes is definitely not active labor so even if they weren't sporadic they would have sent you home anyways. Usually the rule is 5 minutes apart, holding 1 minute, for at least 1 hour. I can't see how far along you are since I'm mobile but you may or may not see baby anytime soon. Labor is a fickle thing and does what it wants really. I've been making progress since 33 weeks and now am currently at 3cm, 80 effaced and 2 station and here I sit. ETA: stupid mobile and lack of punctuation

Thank you for understanding. I am 36 weeks and I guess I'm just worried. I do know a lot about the labor process but when my body is reacting a completely different way than what I'm reading about, I'm a little scared. Thank you again though.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't think taking castor oil is the best advice.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"