Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Plane rides with LO

xp-ing on a few other boards too.

We are taking the baby to see my Mom in Florida next week. He'll be just a day over 9 months. It'll be a 2 1/2 hour flight. Our flights to and from are both around 11 a.m. meaning a 9 a.m. arrival at the airport.

Any friendly advice, ideas, concerns to share when flying with a baby for the first time? Some co-workers recommended giving him children's Benadryl to get him to sleep on the flight. Not sure how I feel about that! Anyone else ever do this??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Plane rides with LO

• I don't feel drugging children is necessary unless they have extreme anxiety about a situation and its dr recommended. If your LO takes a morning nap usually, the white noise of the engines might lull him to sleep once he's taken it all in.

You didn't say if he has a seat. If so, you can bring his carseat and stroller and gate check the stroller. If he's going on your lap I recommend babywearing to free up your hands in the airport. If there's no metal on the carrier you can even wear it through security.

If you BF, nursing on take off and landing is good for their ears. Otherwise give him a bottle or paci.  

Just double check the specific airlines rules about infants, baggage and gate checking to avoid surprises.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks!  yea, I really thought it was odd that people were so quick to recommend drugging him! 

We are just lapping him and we don't have a carrier that's big enough for him, so I can't wear him.  Hopefully the noise on the plane and the humming of the engines will help him sleep and he'll just snuggle up.

I called the airlines and got all the info.  Just bringing the stroller and checking it at the gate.  ::fingers crossed:!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebeane4018:
    imageForeverEverAfter:

I don't feel drugging children is necessary unless they have extreme anxiety about a situation and its dr recommended. If your LO takes a morning nap usually, the white noise of the engines might lull him to sleep once he's taken it all in.

You didn't say if he has a seat. If so, you can bring his carseat and stroller and gate check the stroller. If he's going on your lap I recommend babywearing to free up your hands in the airport. If there's no metal on the carrier you can even wear it through security.

If you BF, nursing on take off and landing is good for their ears. Otherwise give him a bottle or paci.  

Just double check the specific airlines rules about infants, baggage and gate checking to avoid surprises.  

All this. Also I have heard of benadryl having a reverse effect and making kids wired.. which would be bad.

Any allergy meds make my 6yo DS crazy. He's wired, zero impulse control, doesn't listen, bouncing off the walls. It's horrible!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    I flew (have flown) with my DD several times. Every single time the white noise has knocked her out. She does have some issues with her ears, but a bottle (or now a cup or lollipop) are enough to do the trick. Just make sure to give yourself enough time to where you aren't rushing, change your LO right before boarding the plane (a lot of airplane models don't have changing tables) and bring extra diapers and bottles/formula if FF in case you get delayed. GL and enjoy your trip! Oh- and you may want to bring a copy of your LO's birth certificate. At this age they prob won't ask for it, but better safe than sorry.
    imageimage
  • imageLSU628:
    I flew (have flown) with my DD several times. Every single time the white noise has knocked her out. She does have some issues with her ears, but a bottle (or now a cup or lollipop) are enough to do the trick. Just make sure to give yourself enough time to where you aren't rushing, change your LO right before boarding the plane (a lot of airplane models don't have changing tables) and bring extra diapers and bottles/formula if FF in case you get delayed. GL and enjoy your trip! Oh- and you may want to bring a copy of your LO's birth certificate. At this age they prob won't ask for it, but better safe than sorry.

This. We're flying in Nov and the airline we're using says they require this for all lap children. Don't know that they'll actually ask, but like pp said, better safe than sorry.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• imageLSU628:

Ditto all of this. We just flew with DS last week - just turned 8 months then - he was amazing! I gave him a bottle at take off and he passed out both times. And all of the airport craziness kept him busy. As for the birth certificate - it's good to have. At one airport they asked for it and the other they never did, so you never know! 

DD - 7/15/09 DS - 10/21/12
  • imagebeane4018:
    imageForeverEverAfter:

I don't feel drugging children is necessary unless they have extreme anxiety about a situation and its dr recommended. If your LO takes a morning nap usually, the white noise of the engines might lull him to sleep once he's taken it all in.

All this. Also I have heard of benadryl having a reverse effect and making kids wired.. which would be bad.

That is what happened with my parents.  My parents flew with me to Europe right before my second birthday, so I was a lapchild.  They used Benadryl hoping it would make me sleep, but instead it made wired.  Can't imagine! 

• Yeah, I totally don't get why people jump to the "drug them up" conclusion.

I flew with DS when he was 5 months old and had so many people tell me to give him baby gravol. I checked his car seat and took a stroller to the gate with me. I gave him a bottle on the way up and he was happy as could be the whole flight. He also had his soother for the way down to help with his ears. He did sleep for a portion on the way there (they were 2 hour flighs), but was awake the entire way home. He was giggling and chatting to the people in the row behind me.

I'd say the only part that bothered me was the eye rolls coming from the people who were seated in the rows with us. On the way home the woman actually had her seat changed after she was there was a baby.  

• Keep bottles, snacks, and nuks on hand.  It will help ears if they have something to suck on.  I know a friend of mine used to wad up a ball of duck tape and babies would love to pull apart.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Have toys/books and snacks on hand . Only bring formula/food,diapers and wipes for the trip length then buy stuff when you get there.   MOST important: ( I just learned from my recent plane ride with my almost 7 mon old dr) Wipe down every surface they touch if you can esp. in the plane.    She slept most of the way there so that helped with her ears, but a friend told me to give her a bottle/cup when going up & down  to help with the ears. As for in the airport he/she will love people watching the most.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't recommend giving them anything but tylenol only if he's teething. I flew with my 6mo old a few weeks ago from Pittsburg to Dallas (literally all day) and she slept most of the time and she was completely content when she was awake. Her ears were fine (though I have heard that pain in hears isn't as common as you think) I suggest buying a new toy and giving it to him on the airplane so he has something new to hold his attention :) my daughter was fascinated with the magazines though lol If you have a pinterest account there are TONS of blogs about flying with infants! They really helped me out! And using a carrier is much easier than holding the child especially if you don't have another adult coming, I flew alone. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Labor buddy to LaceAndLilies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"