January 2013 Moms

Will I Ever Sleep Again?

Honestly I feel like I'll never sleep 8 hours in a row again. DD used to STTN then around 4 months started waking 2 or 3 times a night to nurse. I assumed it would get better but she's 21 weeks now and still doing it.

She woke up at 3:30 this morning and decided she was up for the day. That's especially painful for me because I have to get up at 4:30. I think I'm going to die.

Is this still 4 month wakefulness or just our new norm?

Re: Will I Ever Sleep Again?

• IME kids go through periods of STTN and periods of wakefulness.  Growth spurts, illness, teething, developmental milestones can all cause interruptions.  It will affect some kids more than others.  

IME yes you will start to get relatively good sleep again (not like pre-baby sleep, but a respectable amount ;) ), but it's' going to be a thing that's constantly evolving.  Especially during the first year or so.  

Also, holy hell!  3.30?  That's not a wakeup time.  That's the middle of the night!  Sorry :(  

IMO this is a rough patch for babies and she'll outgrow it on her own given a little time.  It's hard, but know that it won't last forever.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:

Also, holy hell!  3.30?  That's not a wakeup time.  That's the middle of the night!  Sorry :(  

You're telling me! The little stinker went to bed at 7:30 last night and I was so happy because she usually fights it until about 10:00 pm.  Turns out I should have woken her up and made her go to bed at 10:00 like normal.  I pretty much feeling like the walking dead right now.

• Loading the player...
  • DD woke up at 5 today, my alarm goes off at 5:35 :(  BUT I know she was still tired because she was fussy so I did not take her out of bed.  I don't want her to think it was time to get up, so I left her in there.  I just had to replace her paci a couple times and she eventually went back to sleep.  IMO, I don't think any baby is really ready to get up at 3 or even 5 in the morning, it's just that they need help going back to sleep.

Babies need 11-12 hours of sleep at night (even if it's interrupted) so I think you should stick with the 7:30 bedtime.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageWild_flower25:

I don't think any baby is really ready to get up at 3 or even 5 in the morning, it's just that they need help going back to sleep.

I tried multiple attempts with nursing, with the pacifier, etc.  She got up and played for about 45 minutes and I finally got her back to sleep at 5:30. I wish mommy could have gone back to bed too =(  

• We had just started getting successful STTN, when all of a sudden DS decides to wake at 3:30 or 4:00. He babbles for a while and then just starts screaming and crying. He was awake from 3:30 to 5:00 (he usually wakes at 5:30 or 6:00) one morning and today he was wake from 4:00 to 5:00. Despite this, he was awake and happy at 6:00 a.m.

He wasn't too wet and did not need to eat. Would not take his paci and, if picked up, would start screaming the moment we set him down again. I finally closed his door and went back to bed.

This better pass because it SUCKS and DH and I are walking zombies at work.

Cervical Cancer Survivor since 2007 TTC Since 2008 IUI#1 = BFN IUI#2 = BFN IUI#3 = BFN IUI#4 = BFN IVF #1 = BFN FET #1 = BFN FET #2 = BFN FET #3 = BFN IVF #2 = BFN IVF #3 = BFN FET #4 = BFN FET #5 = BFP!!! 06/10/2011 Miscarriage 06/21/2011 Adoption Application Submitted 09/2011, Personal Documents Submitted 11/18/2011, Home Visit 12/16/2011, Officially Waiting!!! 01/21/2013 MATCHED!!!! 01/24/2013 Baby Boy Born! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can relate! My DD was STTN since she was 3 months, but around 4.5 months started waking up early. She's now 6 months and wakes up around 11 pm and 4 am to eat. It's frustrating since I know she CAN STTN! Her paci falls out constantly so I really never sleep more than an hour or two before I have to put it back in her mouth.

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"