Babies: 6 - 9 Months

MIL Issue

My MIL watches LO while we're at work. We recently had her nine month appointment and were told she should only be getting 24 oz. of formula a day (compared to the normal 30 oz.). And that when she reaches the age of one, we will be cutting her down to 16 oz.

I told my MIL the "news" today and she said she completely disagrees with it. She thinks LO should not be weaned until she reaches the age of two. She made the joke that she was going to go slap our pediatrician for telling me this. 

I just feel like I'm going to have a major battle on my hands in three months. Is it normal to continue to formula feed until the age of two or is my pediatrician's advice the standard practice now?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MIL Issue

• Does she want to continue to pay for formula until your LO is two?!  Stop buying it in three months and my guess is she will stop giving it.
  • What your pedi said is the norm.  Formula is usually given up to a year, with a gradual switch to whole cow's milk.  If your MIL wants to keep giving formula, Similac does make "Go and Grow" for up to 24 months, if  MIL wants to pay for it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to start transitioning to whole cow's milk at 11 and a half months. Everything I've heard points toward 1 year being the norm for switching to regular milk.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    photo 9df49095-cf0f-4192-a338-7695f445291a_zps876ddeb4.jpg
  • I've never heard of giving kids formula for that long. I worry too that she won't want to wean her off bottles either.

Maybe find some articles to help educate her on the subject or even take her with you to the pediatrician.

We started weaning DS around 11 months and he was totally off of formula and bottles like a week after her turned 1. That's pretty much the recommendation I've always seen.

• I'm a nurse and we do Pediasure or Nutren Jr. for any of the older infants (+1 year) that need to still be on formula, otherwise, some form of milk (cows, rice, coconut, etc.) is the norm for a baby of one. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't bother taking the time to educate her.... really this is your child and your decision.  Tell her what's happening and if she isn't on board then find someone else to watch your child.  
  • It isn't normal to formula feed until 2. DS is on toddler formula, but only due to milk, soy, and almond issues.

That said, your pedi's milk intakes are low, at least IMO. DS still got a good 28-30 ounces of formula a day until we (tried) to wean at 12 months, with our pedi's blessing. If you LO is still that hungry for milk, please don't withhold.

• imagemben1119:

It isn't normal to formula feed until 2. DS is on toddler formula, but only due to milk, soy, and almond issues.

That said, your pedi's milk intakes are low, at least IMO. DS still got a good 28-30 ounces of formula a day until we (tried) to wean at 12 months, with our pedi's blessing. If you LO is still that hungry for milk, please don't withhold.

I strongly agree with this.

imageimage
  • imagemben1119:

It isn't normal to formula feed until 2. DS is on toddler formula, but only due to milk, soy, and almond issues.

I think this has a lot to do with the kid and how much/what kind of table food they eat but yeah it sounds low to me too.

• imageg8trkim:
    imagemben1119:

I think this has a lot to do with the kid and how much/what kind of table food they eat but yeah it sounds low to me too.

I agree with this. I think it all depends on the kid and what other foods/how much they are eating.  But hey, if the kid is hungry, feed him.

They say Bfed babies should nurse 4 times a day at around 7 months...My LO would be starving if I only fed him 4 times.  He nurses minimum 6 times during the day, 3 meals, and one nursing during the night. This keeps us both happy. 

Do what YOU feel is right. (your pedi's info should be used as a guide, but not necessarily the rule) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"