October 2012 Moms

Holding bottle/Nipple flow

DD is still not holding her own bottle.  at all. I have attached a top with the handles but that only works for a few min and is hit or miss.  Anyone else have a "lazy" baby?  It makes it harder for her to get used to the sippy.  

Also, she is still on the slow flow nipple.  She doesn't mind it and I thought you were supposed to go with the slowest flow your LO will tolerate. Should I increase to a faster flow nipple to get her used to the faster flow from a cup?

Re: Holding bottle/Nipple flow

• imageLauraT25:

Yes, lazy baby here.  She will sometimes hold it if she's in the right mood, but as soon as one of us touches the bottle she goes completely hands-free.

We did bump her up nipple-wise, she was such a slow eater (and I wasn't BFing) that we tried to go with the fastest size she would tolerate, which is now a 3 Avent or 2 Dr. Brown's. 

We are still on the 2 Avent here. 

• we changed nipples based on age I use dr browns
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • ac1259ac1259 member
    imageLauraT25:
    As far as sippy cups go, we have tried three different kinds now, and she mostly just plays with them. nbsp;She LOVES my CamelBak with bite valve though, and gets quite a lot of water from it even though sometimes I am not coordinated enough to use it, so I give her that. nbsp;I recently got a sippy with a straw after I finally found one that wasn't recommended for older kids and she does drink from it more, but it isn't leakproof.nbsp;

Mine loves the Camelbak too! She can hold her bottle she just never does...but when it's empty then she'll grab it and try to do it herself. We haven't had much luck with sippy cups either, she doesn't get the picking it up and tipping it back thing. I'm definitely considering just getting her a kids Camelbak since she loves mine so much!

• My niece didn't hold her own bottle until my sister started her on a sippy cup, which I want to say she didn't get the concept of until 1 year.  We joked that she was lazy too :-)
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • My LO refuses to hold her own bottle even though I know she could. She can't handle anything but slow flow nipples, sputters on the milk otherwise.... but she does great with a sippy cup on her own. Took her a little practice, but she figured it out eventually. 
  • I've got a lazy baby too.  she refuses to hold a bottle or a sippy cup - unless she's banging it on the table.  Even when I try and make her hold it with her hands, she'll stop drinking! 

We're on stage 3 nipples, not sure if that's the slow flow or not.  I was actually thinking last night we might want to change the nipple.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"