June 2012 Moms
Options

X-Post: Is This All Due to Teething?

My sweet LO just turned 1 two weeks ago.  We were doing great with cutting down the bottles, she was moving away from purees and eating a lot more table food and was her general happy self.

And then - she started having total meltdowns.  SCREAMING, for no apparent reason, sometimes when I walk out of her sight, sometimes just because.  She has literally thrown two tantrums, on the floor, more like I thought a two year old would do.  I can see that she has her top front two teeth coming in, and that has got to be part of it, but her first two teeth (bottom) came in without any notice or a whimper!  I have tried EVERYTHING to try to help her with this, and the only thing that sort of works seems to be Orajel and Advil.  She even asks to get back in her swing sometimes, which she hasn't been in for almost six months, and I let her watch about 20 minutes of Sesame Street or something (another thing we've never done) and this seems to sooth her or distract her from her discomfort.  Then she's ready to get out and go do something else.

And now she won't eat.  For three days she has pretty much refused every solid or puree I've offered, either throwing it at me or feeding it to the dog.  I have had to resort to going back to bottles with formula/milk, and she CRUSHES those, so that's where we're at.  Any one else experience this?  How long can it last?  Could there be something besides her teeth going on?

Any advice or input would be appreciated, TIA. 

Re: X-Post: Is This All Due to Teething?

• Options
    Anja has tantrums daily. Mostly, I know she is absolutely fine. She usually does it because she wants something, whether it's to pick her up, a certain food, or maybe she's bored or tired. I try to not show any reaction to these tantrums.

I talked to my pedi yesterday about weaning off of bottles. She said of course she isn't going to take from sippy if she knows we'll eventually cave and give her a bottle. She said if she goes a day or two without getting a recommended 20 to 24 oz of milk, she'll be ok. She isn't going to fade away. Sometimes all you need to give them is a little tough love.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds like my DD when she is teething. If you can rule out illness, I would ride it out. DD has days where she yells and screams and is so fussy and the next she is back to normal. I agree with PP, a couple days of not eating isn't going to do any harm and it will pass soon. For us teething has been rough, hang in there!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Is there a possibility she is cutting a molar tooth? My son was acting exactly like yours down to not eating anything solid or pureed. Well, got it confirmed with the pedi yesterday that one molar is cutting through now and another is swollen getting ready to start. I started giving him advil with morning and bedtime bottles and he has been a little better but he is also cutting 3 other teeth and going through separation anxiety plus jealousy with his new baby brother. 

For the time being I too am just going to give him bottles till he starts to act like his old self then I will start to feed him table food again. No point in wasting food if he is not going to eat it and at least formula will give him nutrients during this rough patch.

Hope your LO starts to be back to her normal self soon.

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Wow Michelle04 - if it's tough in my house I can't imagine yours!  We went to the pedi today and she took a quick look and said gums were very swollen and so other teeth may be getting ready to arrive, front tops have been bleeding for sure. She also said to not worry about the bottle thing for now, just keep her hydrated and let her eat what she will, we can return to the task of bottle weaning when this passes.

Wishing you some peace and sanity and maybe some sleep?!?! 

• Options
    :) thanks. Up until this week I couldn't remember what sleep was. Luckily DS3 is sleeping longer periods at night so getting some. Having a 7yo DS vying for my attention and sometimes a 9yo SD doesn't make it any easier. If I can make it through the summer with my sanity in tact is the biggest question right now. lol
                           SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    This just happened to us as well. We are traveling abroad and DS didn't eat for 3 days and barely took in any bottles. And he started throwing tantrums and crying hysterically for no reason. We thought it was due to jetlag as that can be hard on their bodies but on the 4th day he started to act like himself again and eating more. He was finally laughing and smiling when I noticed he had 3 top teeth that broke the skin.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"