December 2012 Moms

How do you know LO likes to nurse?

This is probably a silly question, but how do you know your LO likes to nurse? I've heard people say that they wanted to wean their LO before a year, but their LO wouldn't let them or LO liked to nurse too much, or they had trouble dropping a feeding because of LO, or their LO loves the breast.  When the baby cries out of hunger and wants to nurse, do they try to latch on or something or start putting their face into the mom's chest?  Does this mean their LO won't take a bottle if mom is around?  I just haven't experienced this, so I don't get it, but was wondering what people really mean by that.  I've also heard people say their baby smells food from mom, so they can't go into the nursery in the night unless they are ready to nurse.  How do they know??

I nursed DD exclusively for the first 4 months, but once she got really distractible at the breast I started to introduce more bottles to make sure she was getting enough food (she's only 2nd percentile on weight).  Now she will only stay attached long enough for a full feed overnight and first thing in the morning.  She gets one formula bottle at daycare and one BM bottle.  In the evenings I now give her a bottle of formula because she just won't breastfeed (and as a result my supply is dwindling), and then I pump before bed.  I will definitely fully wean before a year because she doesn't seem to like to breastfeed, and it's getting difficult to maintain all the pumping.  She definitely prefers a big bottle, and because of her weight issues, I have just given in to this rather than push the nursing. Just curious!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you know LO likes to nurse?

• My LO seems to get comfort from it. Like today, she got her six month shots and I think she's not feeling 100 since she's been fussy. Doesn't want toys, only wants to be held one way, etc. Right now though, she's nursing and is finally content... Eyes closed, a little milk drunk, happily sucking away, and will likely fall asleep on my breast before we're done.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• imageSingleMom31:
    My LO seems to get comfort from it. Like today, she got her six month shots and I think she's not feeling 100 since she's been fussy. Doesn't want toys, only wants to be held one way, etc. Right now though, she's nursing and is finally content... Eyes closed, a little milk drunk, happily sucking away, and will likely fall asleep on my breast before we're done.

I agree, it's a comfort thing. If she's crabby, tired, etc nursing is the magic cure. Even when she's in a good mood, she often will nuzzle herself into my chest like she's trying to eat through my shirt. Also starting to grab my tank tops and trying to pull them down. Even if she has a bottle right before I get her from daycare, she wants to nurse first thing when we get home or she whines nonstop. It's a mommy and baby connection thing I think...
  • Loading the player...
  • yes, it is definitely a comfort thing. My DD would not take a bottle for the last 3 months. Now, she will finally take a sippy cup but definitely prefers to nurse. Also, when she is really upset, it is the only thing that will calm her down. She will also pull at my shirt or nuzzle her head into my chest when she is tired and wants to nurse. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageJackiemxoxo:
    yes, it is definitely a comfort thing. My DD would not take a bottle for the last 3 months. Now, she will finally take a sippy cup but definitely prefers to nurse. Also, when she is really upset, it is the only thing that will calm her down. She will also pull at my shirt or nuzzle her head into my chest when she is tired and wants to nurse. 

This. LO refused bottles, but can now drink from a cup with some help. She won't replace any feedings though. She also prefers to nurse before nap instead of when waking no matter how I've tried to change the routine. And when she's really upset or worked up nursing is instant calm. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageJandACoffee:

I understand the comfort nursing thing, but I think my DD is more like OP's. I haven't had to supplement, and DD will nurse when she is hungry and is gaining just fine, but she definitely does not want to nurse unless she is hungry. I had an overactive letdown and an oversupply back when we first started (and I still have an overactive letdown), and I think that might have killed the comfort nursing for her in the beginning. Feedings used to be really frequent (like every 1-2 hours) till she was about 4.5 months old. I think because she would get frustrated with the flow and unlatch before she was full. They are still every 2-3 hours now. Every now and then she will want to comfort nurse, but it is rare. She does do it more at night and wakes up several times and just wants to suck for a minute or two but she actually usually unlatches midway through letdown and just wants to be held close rather than actually nurse.

Its always kinda bugged me because I can't nurse her to sleep and forget trying to nurse her when she is too tired. Nighttime nursing is usually a battle that involves me having to draw in her with a binky for a second to calm her and then pull out the binky and latch her real quick. She very rarely falls asleep like that. Often I end up feeding her when she wakes up partially a half hour or so after she has gone down so that she actually gets a full feeding.

I still plan on nursing though as long as she will let me, and since she still won't really take a bottle, I think it will still be at least a year. I won't be surprised though if she self-weans once she starts on WCM out of a cup.  

That sounds frustrating! I also have OALD, and LO unlatches early in the feed then goes back on. I wanted to clarify that my LO seems to find comfort in nursing (like when sleepy or upset) but she doesn't comfort suck at all. At the end of the eating when her eyes close, she unlatches and lays her head on top of my boob. She doesn't take a paci, so that might be why she looks to nursing for comfort.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"