School-Aged Children

Hello

Hi all,

I'm a long time bumper, but new to this board.   My husband and I are foster parents and we're getting a new placement tomorrow (in addition to the two we already have) of a five year old little girl.   We know a lot more about her than we generally would with foster care because she's coming from a relative placement, but we've never parented an elementary aged child so I'll be around asking for advice.   She starts Kindergarten in the fall.  I'm a first grade teacher, so I have some insight, but I still feel clueless :)

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

Re: Hello

• Hi there!  Welcome to the board!

I'm guessing that most of your experience with foster children has been younger kids: infants, toddlers, preschoolers.

In some ways, dealing with an older child is a lot easier, I think.  "Custodial care" issues like feeding, dressing, pottying, and sleeping become less of a chore.  This leaves you more time to do fun activities and stuff together.  All the things that parents try to do with toddlers and preschoolers (like trips to the zoo and museums) are really MUCH more meaningful and fun when done with a slightly older child. 

On the other hand, bigger kids have more complex problems: school problems, friend problems, moral dilemmas, etc.  Dealing with these issues takes trust, which might be tough for a foster child at this age. 

Good for you for taking on this responsibility! Don't hesitate to hang out here with questions! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I'm fairly "new" to this board as well so welcome to you, too! :)

GL, I have absolutely LOVED our public school experience thus far. My DD is nearly 7 and will begin 2nd grade this fall. K was so much fun!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"