Multiples

Dr. Luke and weight gain

Just returned Dr. Luke's book to the library. I enjoyed reading it and found it really helpful, but am wondering about the whole weight thing ...? I have only gained about eight pounds so far (I'm 17+5 today). Actually if you want to start counting from pre-pregnancy weight it's only about 3-4 pounds. I lost five pounds right after getting pregnant, not due to morning sickness or anything--I think it had more to do with the effect of pregnancy on my breastfeeding and my boobs shrinking. :-P 

I'm not super anxious because I feel the babies move etc, I'm just wondering if Dr. Luke exaggerates a bit ...?? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Re: Dr. Luke and weight gain

• SV917SV917 member
    I fail to see how having a fat a.s.s is going to help my babies. I figure as long as I'm eating the proper nutrients, and gaining weight, I'm fine. It has been much easier to gain weight as the second tri goes along, but I was about 12 pounds short of Dr. Luke's 20week goal. I was on the lower end of the BMI scale prepregnancy and my doctor only recommended gaining 35 pounds. I'm aiming for somewhere in between those two recommendations.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lol @ PP --  I know some people swear by her book, but I dunno. I hit all the weight gain milestones all throughout my (short) pregnancy, and it didn't do me a ton of good. ;) Granted, who the heck knows why my LOs decided the third trimester was for the birds, but I don't think additional calories would have made them change their minds. 
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTobieRose:
    Just returned Dr. Luke's book to the library. I enjoyed reading it and found it really helpful, but am wondering about the whole weight thing ...? I have only gained about eight pounds so far (I'm 17+5 today). Actually if you want to start counting from pre-pregnancy weight it's only about 3-4 pounds. I lost five pounds right after getting pregnant, not due to morning sickness or anything--I think it had more to do with the effect of pregnancy on my breastfeeding and my boobs shrinking. :-P 

I'm not super anxious because I feel the babies move etc, I'm just wondering if Dr. Luke exaggerates a bit ...?? 

I only gained 20 total (I was overweight to begin with) and my girls were fine....She is a little nutty - doesn't she advise like 8 eggs a day or something?? Just trust your instincts and listen to you doctor. 

imageimage

Olivia and Matilda, 09/10/201 - Graham, 10/01/2013

• I had been super stressing about this since finding out its twins, because I really have no appetite and when I eat too much I feel really sick. I have put on a grand total of 1.5 pounds going into my 10th week. And am eating like crazy. 

After a few days of feeling so ill from eating (and not really gaining anyway), I finally decided to do as PP said - eat healthy, be healthy, feel well and try to get the nutrients I need and follow MY drs orders.  

I am taking her advice to really slow down and not over do it, and listen to my body and I think that was good - before my twins u/s I was working out still and getting super light headed - obviously good to be told to back off of that.  

********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • I did my best to follow Dr. Luke's recommendations for weight gain and daily protein intake.  I didn't count calories, so I don't know how close I was to those each day.  My weight gain was within the recommendations and my babies were large for triplets (5.9, 5.12, and 7.5lbs).  Maybe it was because of the weight gain and protein and maybe I just got lucky, who knows?  But IMO, why not try?  Nothing hurt by gaining the weight.  I lost all by 7 lbs by 4wks pp.   

And as a side note, the nutritionist at my MFM's office used Dr. Luke's book as a guideline too.

PAIFW/SAIFW

DS1 born July 2002 (previous marriage).

TTC since Oct 08. DH Dx w/testicular cancer March 09.
    MFI due to retrograde ejaculation/azoospermia.
    5/2 IVF #1 cancelled due to large follie.
    6/14 start Lupron for IVF #1.2. 6/22 start stims.
    7/4 ER and Biopsy.
    7/9 Transferred 2 (1-4BB and 1-3BB) embryos.  4 frosties.
    7/15 +HPT 6dp5dt. 7/18 Beta #1: 193. 7/20 Beta #2: 415.
    8/10 1st u/s - It's triplets!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My OB said to add 300 calories per baby per day what you normally eat. I added 600 per day (roughly) and was fine. I started out overweight so I didn't gain anything until about 18 weeks. I think everyone is different. Your body will gain what it needs to gain for your pregnancy. If you naturally gain, then you will naturally lose. JMO
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imageLuvWIfootball:

I did my best to follow Dr. Luke's recommendations for weight gain and daily protein intake.  I didn't count calories, so I don't know how close I was to those each day.  My weight gain was within the recommendations and my babies were large for triplets (5.9, 5.12, and 7.5lbs).  Maybe it was because of the weight gain and protein and maybe I just got lucky, who knows?  But IMO, why not try?  Nothing hurt by gaining the weight.  I lost all by 7 lbs by 4wks pp.   

And as a side note, the nutritionist at my MFM's office used Dr. Luke's book as a guideline too.

This was true for me, too, but twins and they were 6lbs10oz and 6lbs7oz at 37w6d. No complications. And while there are certainly some Dr. Luke dissenters and of course plenty of exceptions to the rule (i.e. people who gained little and still had healthy full-term babies, or people who followed her recs and had preemies), her research was used in putting together official weight gain guidelines for multiple pregnancies so it has been validated by others.

That said, I had only gained 2 lbs by 12w (when I found out I was having twins) but gained a pretty steady 2 lbs/wk after that and ended up gaining 54 lbs total.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imagemacchiatto:
    imageLuvWIfootball:

I did my best to follow Dr. Luke's recommendations for weight gain and daily protein intake.  I didn't count calories, so I don't know how close I was to those each day.  My weight gain was within the recommendations and my babies were large for triplets (5.9, 5.12, and 7.5lbs).  Maybe it was because of the weight gain and protein and maybe I just got lucky, who knows?  But IMO, why not try?  Nothing hurt by gaining the weight.  I lost all by 7 lbs by 4wks pp.   

This was true for me, too, but twins and they were 6lbs10oz and 6lbs7oz at 37w6d. No complications. And while there are certainly some Dr. Luke dissenters and of course plenty of exceptions to the rule (i.e. people who gained little and still had healthy full-term babies, or people who followed her recs and had preemies), her research was used in putting together official weight gain guidelines for multiple pregnancies so it has been validated by others.

That said, I had only gained 2 lbs by 12w (when I found out I was having twins) but gained a pretty steady 2 lbs/wk after that and ended up gaining 54 lbs total.

I'm with these pp's. I ended at 54lbs and 37 weeks. My twins girls were 7lbs7oz and 6lbs5oz. It took a minute to get to 24 at 24. But I got caught up and feel really proud how far I got and how big the girls were. I totally agree with the notion of "what could it hurt!?" So what if I have to eat more and get a little bigger for a couple years? I had a multiple pregnancy. And I would try anything to make sure they get a great start. The research was there for me and my nutritionist from my hospitals MoMs group uses the guidelines.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"