Military Families

A few questions. (semi long)

So my husband goes to MEPS in about a week and I have a few questionfor current military wives about health insurance. 

I guess the first one is how good is the health insurance, the recruiter my husband has been in contact with keeps saying it's great. He's a great guy, been very informative but his job is to get people to enlist so as one wife to another how are the benefits? Especially things like pediatric coverage and obstetrical coverage (might not actually need obstetrical coverage but just in case).

I guess my second question is do the benefits start when he goes to BCT, or AIT, or when he's actually assigned to post? I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and we have a 3 year old little boy so I'm trying to make arrangements with insurance companies so that we are covered during any gap in coverage.

I guess my last question is will the Army insurance, I think if my understanding is correct it's called Tricare, cover things like having your tubes tied? We have a boy, I'm pregnant with a girl so we've decided we are done having children.

Thank you for the help 

imageimageimage
  imageimage
image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb

Re: A few questions. (semi long)

• 1. You cannot beat Tricare in financial terms. Until you join your husband at his duty station, you will most likely be on Tricare Standard. You'll have co-pays, but they are minimal. Once you get to the new duty station, you can choose to be seen at the MTF (military treatment facility, aka on-post clinic). You'll have to switch to Tricare Prime and will have no copays, no deductibles, nothing OOP, including obstetrical, prescription, etc...You will get a welcome packet in the mail from Tricare, explaining all of this stuff to you, plus everything else you'll ever need to know.

2. Your coverage will start as soon as he inprocesses at BCT. However, Tricare will not recognize it until you are enrolled in DEERS, which he will do early on at BCT. (Caveat- If you have an emergency, Tricare will cover it. You will just have to submit the bill to them, instead of having the hospital bill directly.) He'll send you paperwork for you to get your military ID and once you have that, you can be seen at any military facility. You may also need this ID to book appointments with civilian doctors, because they need information from it.

3. I do believe Tricare covers tubal ligation, Essure, and all the other permanent birth control options. You just have to bring it up with your doctor. It's not considered urgent, so you may have to wait awhile, depending on how busy the clinic/hospital/doctor is.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepanicked228:

1. You cannot beat Tricare in financial terms. Until you join your husband at his duty station, you will most likely be on Tricare Standard. You'll have co-pays, but they are minimal. Once you get to the new duty station, you can choose to be seen at the MTF (military treatment facility, aka on-post clinic). You'll have to switch to Tricare Prime and will have no copays, no deductibles, nothing OOP, including obstetrical, prescription, etc...You will get a welcome packet in the mail from Tricare, explaining all of this stuff to you, plus everything else you'll ever need to know.

2. Your coverage will start as soon as he inprocesses at BCT. However, Tricare will not recognize it until you are enrolled in DEERS, which he will do early on at BCT. (Caveat- If you have an emergency, Tricare will cover it. You will just have to submit the bill to them, instead of having the hospital bill directly.) He'll send you paperwork for you to get your military ID and once you have that, you can be seen at any military facility. You may also need this ID to book appointments with civilian doctors, because they need information from it.

3. I do believe Tricare covers tubal ligation, Essure, and all the other permanent birth control options. You just have to bring it up with your doctor. It's not considered urgent, so you may have to wait awhile, depending on how busy the clinic/hospital/doctor is.

Thanks for all the help. This kind of brought up another question to use Tricare before he is assigned a post do I have to go to a military facility. Me and the kids will be staying with my family while he is in training they live in Chattanooga and I'm not sure if there is a military facility there.

imageimageimage
      imageimage
    image   image

• Loading the player...
  • agree with everything said. i work in healthcare and tricare is the best insurance i have ever seen. it is great. just like every insurance there are frustrations but once you learn how to navigate the frustrations are easier.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Thanks for all the help guys. 
    imageimageimage
      imageimage
    image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"