Single Parents
Options

Child support hearing

So it turns out that I am, in fact, an idiot.  I don't blame myself necessarily, it has a lot to do with lack of sleep, but still...  Here is why.  Almost two months ago I got a hearing date for child support for DS2.  As I was talking to the clerk I entered it into my calendar.  Two months was the soonest and it cost me $90 to set it.

I show up for court today and the court is dark with a sign saying it will not be open until July 3rd.  Odd, I think.  And I check my calendar, Court June 26.  So I pull out my file and look at the order.  June 24.  I missed my farking court date.

At that point I am near tears because I am so tired.  I was stressed and did not sleep last night. And I head downstairs to talk to the clerk about resetting a date.  All I am thinking is that it is going to cost me another $90.  Turns out they held it without me because BD actually showed up!

I should have known that money would interest him more than paternity or custody.  And obviously the judge was a little ticked because while all of his financial information is entered, despite the fact he never served me with it or a response, none of mine is entered, even though the court already had it.  So, child support was ordered without me.

Let me say that I should not complain.  The amount is enough to help a lot.  It is probably more than BD wants to pay.  I was actually going to offer to settle if he showed up for about the same amount.  I just cannot farking believe that I screwed up and missed the farking hearing.

Anyway, the last part of my vent is that I got all the Order After Hearing papework filled out and texted BD to see if he could meet to sign it.  He tells me he is out of the area (very surprised I got a response btw) but he will be near my house tomorrow morning.  I offer to have him come by the house and actually see his child for the FIRST time and he AGREES. I was in shock.  For a whole 10 minutes.  And then I got the "I don't think it's a good idea.  Please mail me the form." text. 

This whole day has stressed me out. Thanks for reading.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Child support hearing

• Options
    I should also add that BD lied about his income, but I knew he would.  He only provided info from one of his jobs and did not mention his four rental properties. Okay, I am letting it go.
  • Options

I'd set another date if possible, get all my documents in, and expose him for lying to the courts.. 

Good luck girl  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh my God, I can't believe you missed it!! I feel pained for you!! Thankfully though they awarded CS and it's an amount that you find acceptable. Sorry BD is a douche, but at least the law is forcing him to help his kid. 

I agree that I'd try to set another date if you want all his income counted,  But if you're ok with the amount and you just want a break from the CS fight, then let it ride. I live in IL and they reevaluate income and support payments every three years. Not sure sure what it is where you are, so that might be something worth looking into.

Go get yourself a slurpee or something and breath a sigh of relief! 

• Options

Oh, honey. That sucks. I feel for you - I would have ugly cried right there at the darkened building!

At least it's settled for an amount you find acceptable. Personally, I'd be the one to let it ride, too. It's not your job to make sure he's honest. That's his conscience and karma. At least it's over with, right?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your support, ladies! I have to let it go for a little while because you can't file for an adjustment when they just set it. Especially since it's my fault for missing the date. But I keep reminding myself it's the amount I needed and to LET IT GO.

I think I would have balanced out if BD hasn't played the maybe I'll meet the baby game to end it. And then reading through the worksheets and seeing the BS. Letting it go...letting it go.

I can't believe I had 5 months home with little guy and all the stupid court stuff for him is still not finished!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you missed the hearing! :( at least he is paying an acceptable amount, and you know it's guaranteed. It sucks he lied about his income, but I agree that's on his conscience and karma...and the whole "meeting his kid" and changing his mind at the end... that's just, I don't even have the words for it.....That's just an insult. Your LO is better off without him if that's how he's going to be. 
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"