October 2012 Moms
Options

BFers: Mother led weaning around a year?

BFers: Mother led weaning around a year?

Who is planning to wean around a year and do you know how you will do it? My original BFing goal was 6 months, so I am pretty proud to be getting closer to 12, but at that point I just think I am done. Luckily DD has pretty much stopped comfort nursing and only nurses 2-3 times on days I work (all bets are off on the weekends), so I am hoping the transition to WCM can be pretty smooth. But I definitely open to any tips! 

ETA: my pedi said it was fine to start mixing BM with WCM at 11.5 months to start the transition. 

DD 9/15/12

Re: BFers: Mother led weaning around a year?

• Options
    I was going to discuss this next month at the pedi 9 month apptment.  I am think around 11 month, I will start cutting down the pumping sessions and maybe start even to mix WCM with BM.  The thing is my LO still loves to nurse and he still loves to comfort nurse in the middle of the night so I am not sure how to do that.
  • Options
    I'm not planning on pumping when I go back to work in September, so that will be the beginning of weaning for us. However, I will keep nursing him when I am home for as long as he wants.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dd nursed until right before she turned two, then stopped and never looked back. I'll probably stop pumping when she is one. I rarely pump anyway.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    nealblnealbl member
    I am going to start around 1 year. She is already totally more interested in having her puff snacks or eating baby food than BFing. She usually only whines to BF when she is tired or needs comfort. I honestly do not think I am producing much anymore. I am going to start night pumping next week to get a stash going for when I return to work. I will see then how much I am really producing. I give her formula bottles sometimes too depending on where we are. I honestly think it won't be too hard to switch her to Cows Milk and actual food. I do think it will be hard to wean her off of comfort nursing, especially in the middle of the night. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm going to the OB on Friday and I'm going to ask her what she thinks given we want to start ttc in October and I still haven't really had a period. I'm thinking ill stop between 10 mo-1 year. She is already losing interest, I do t think it will be too difficult to wean, or at least cut way back.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No idea...I initially said my long term goal was 1 year, but I think I'd be happy to keep a few nursing sessions past that--I definitely want to night wean by 1 year though! He's still nursing 6-7x a day (I SAH) so I'm not sure how to make the transition...I am also really confused about the balance between solids and breastmilk, as I've read certain things on kellymom that don't make sense to me. 

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options

imagehilsy85:
    No idea...I initially said my long term goal was 1 year, but I think I'd be happy to keep a few nursing sessions past that--I definitely want to night wean by 1 year though! He's still nursing 6-7x a day (I SAH) so I'm not sure how to make the transition...I am also really confused about the balance between solids and breastmilk, as I've read certain things on kellymom that don't make sense to me. 

Similar to hilsy's situation here.  I'm SAHM and DS nurses 7-8x/day (he doesn't take bottles).  He's eating solids but nowhere near enough food.  He's not even 8 months yet so I'm not too worried for now, but I honestly have no idea how I'm going to do the transition esp since I SAH!  I do plan to wean at 1 yr but I'm not opposed to doing a morning session for a little longer... 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I just finished weaning LO because he kept chewing on my nipples (ow).  I weaned over the course of three or four weeks by cutting out one to two feedings per week and then letting my body adjust.  If I cut two feedings in the same week, I made sure to skip feedings that were 8 to 10 hours apart to prevent too much engorgement or pain.  Then, the next week, I'd cut another feeding, and so on. 

So, for example, my first week, I cut out one pump session (of two) at work and then his last feeding before bedtime -- We did formula for those instead of BFing.  Then the next feeding I cut was his 5:30 feeding, so at that point I was still doing MOTN nursing and pumping once at work.  Then I cut the pump session out and only did MOTN feedings (he only required one).  After about a week of that, I just stopped altogether.  Using that schedule, I never got engorged, and LO was completely weaned in about a month.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    My BFing goal is 1 year.  I don't plan to start weaning until then, so we will not offer any WCM until she is at least one.  Don't have any definite plans though, because she is MSPI still, so that could be tricky.  We will discuss this with the pedi at her 9 month appointment. 
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"