Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Breastfeeding and Teeth

He's not biting yet but the feeling of his new fang pushing into my boob is not pleasant. Does this get easier?

Re: Breastfeeding and Teeth

• CellisCellis member
    I hope so. DS bit me hard enough to break skin. I'm still healing on the left side from that. He hasn't done it again. I'm a little nervous every time I feed him though. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Yes.  I was breastfeeding DS for awhile when he had teeth.  If they are breastfeeding correctly, you should not feel teeth.  Also, babies bite while breastfeeding when they are teething and if they get a reaction, they will continue.  I had to start putting DS down and giving him a teether when he bit to let him know it was not ok and eventually he stopped.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I can only feel his tooth on the right side (his bottom left is peaking through but not all the way out).  Hmmm strange.  I will try and tinker with his latch and see if it goes away.
  • My DD's bottom ones are all the way through and I noticed it hurt most when they were coming out but once they were fully in it doesn't hurt anymore. But yea she has got me twice with the biting and that does hurt. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DD's teeth came in at 5 months. When she was teething I could feel her scrape her teeth sometimes while nursing and that wasn't exactly comfortable but just recently she has started actually biting. OMG, it hurts SO bad. She has done it twice and I've taken her off and told her "no biting"...of course she cries because I take her boob away but I'm hoping she's learning not to do it. I have found that I'm a little tense lately while nursing her because I'm so afraid she's going to bite me again. She has only bit me when she wanted to nurse for comfort rather than being truly hungry. I'm thinking that maybe she's annoyed that the milk is coming out because she's just wanting a pacifier so to speak. GWIM? I think I'll try just giving her the paci when I know she's not truly hungry. I'll be following this post for any advice as well! 

Edit- She's 7 months now 

• imageAM85:
    My DD's teeth came in at 5 months. When she was teething I could feel her scrape her teeth sometimes while nursing and that wasn't exactly comfortable but just recently she has started actually biting. OMG, it hurts SO bad. She has done it twice and I've taken her off and told her "no biting"...of course she cries because I take her boob away but I'm hoping she's learning not to do it. I have found that I'm a little tense lately while nursing her because I'm so afraid she's going to bite me again. She has only bit me when she wanted to nurse for comfort rather than being truly hungry. I'm thinking that maybe she's annoyed that the milk is coming out because she's just wanting a pacifier so to speak. GWIM? I think I'll try just giving her the paci when I know she's not truly hungry. I'll be following this post for any advice as well!nbsp;Edit She's 7 months nownbsp;

Omg not looking forward to that! It hurts sooo bad just nursing right now but only on that one side. His latch looks fine. I hope this gets easier quick. I have an ice pack in the freezer. I almost feel bruised.
  • When my LO started sprouting teeth at 5 months I could feel his bottom 2 teeth scraping against my nipple and it was VERY painful.  I thought I'd had to quit soon, but I kept on nursing through the pain.  Within a week, I'm not sure if he adjusted his latch, or my nipples toughened up, but it stopped hurting and we've been nursing ever since.  He did bite down a few times (never drew blood), but like the pp said, you just tell them no biting in a stern voice and end the nursing session.  He soon learned that bitting = no milk, so he stopped that non-sense. He now has 10 teeth!  He nurses well and it doesn't hurt.  Hang in there momma! It does get better.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • My DD sometimes clamps down, no teeth yet but she is teething. I usually try to take her off once I think she is getting full. This deceases the chance of biting. Ugh!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"