Blended Families
Options

NBFR: need interview attire advice

I'm an interior designer by trade.  So I have gone to interviews in non traditional interview clothes that diverge from the safe and boring office suit and in my profession, you can get away with that.

Typically, I wear neutral based clothing with a fun punch of color. 

For tomorrow, I have a very classic, simple pencil skirt dress, all black, belted in the middle that I am wearing.  My question is the shoes.  I found a great pair of leopard print heels.   Is that too much? 

It's the only little surprise. I'd be very classic, very clean, very professional head to ankle, and then boom. Yowza. Leopard print.

I like a little punch. Just a little.  But is that too much? Or is it a nice amount of  fun?

I'm interviewing with a man that's in his mid 30's if that helps. I know... a little sexist of me, but hey.  It helps to know your audience.

TIA!

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval

Re: NBFR: need interview attire advice

• Options

What type of job are you interviewing for?  Are you staying in the "arts" world?  

I have to admit, I interview and hire people, and appearance matters - but leopard print shoes wouldn't bother me, actually, I would probably like them and ask you where you got them.

I'm usually turned off by body odor, unkept hair, inappropriate clothing (jeans, tanks, too sexy, too casual), and overall attitude (I hate slouching and gum chewing).

I say go for it - it sounds nice and I love shoes!   

• Options

You sound like you have passion and love for your career.

I'm so happy and excited for you.

I'm SUPER conservative and boring so yeah Leopard print would be over the top for me, but you could very well pull it off. Is this the place your friend works at?

I'd ask her for her opinion since she is probably more in tune with what the opinions would be there.

Good Luck to you!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'll be very linked to the design world - and construction and sub-contractors.  This is very corporate world, and some of the buildings they are in are high design and very notable architecture in the city. 

So they "get" high design. And that's the kind of project I'll be working on.

I think I just answered my own question.

I used to interview too banana, and I agree with all you said. I love a cute outfit and something fun, as long as it's not weird. Which is why I'm going classic with a little fun punch. I interview well typically, and I've got great references and not just a leg....a hip and an arm in the door too, so I should be okay. I just don't want to blow it and I'm nitpicking every detail.

Okay then!  :)  I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.  1PM CST. Send me prayers and good vibes...whatever your preference.

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options
    Good luck! I wish I could pull off leopard print heels!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think that outfit sounds great, gives you a little personality instead of all black boring. Good luck at the interview!!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Because of the job, I would say leopard print is just fine and even fitting. If it were alittle more businessy or mundane job, I would say go for a solid powerful color like red. But you sound like your confidence is going to shine through no matter what you where.

Good luck! You oughta send us a pic on interview day. I am a tee shirt and jeans gal myself, but I wish I could pull off the pencil skirt. I feel like I'm too short for thay. And don't even try to put me in any animal print. I would look so awkward you could mistake me for a hooker. Lol! Heck, I don't pull off heels well at all. I can barely walk in tennis shoes!

Good luck, girl!
  • Options

imagetifanico:
    I don't know, I would say that they leopard prints are way too out there for an interview. Dont wear anything too boring though so I would try to find a balance?

I have to second that, I think leopard print is too much, unfortunately. 

• Options
    imagetwister22:

imagetifanico:
    I don't know, I would say that they leopard prints are way too out there for an interview. Dont wear anything too boring though so I would try to find a balance?

I have to second that, I think leopard print is too much, unfortunately. 

I don't know if this is too late, but I third PPs.  Too much.  They sound like great shoes, but you will have a million chances to wear them at the office.  For this one interview, you can't go wrong with a more subdued shoe, and your colorful personality will still show.  If you feel you are betraying your more artistic side by wearing a black or neutral shoe, I think a fun color could achieve that, and still be more tame than an animal print.

Good luck! 

If being a math nerd is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"