Special Needs

Let me introduce myself.

Hello there ladies!

I've been lurking on here now for a few weeks and figure I should introduce myself and my son's situation.

I don't even know where to begin and for me to go into detail about our situation would take longer than I have time for so I will try my best to give you all the shortened version.

My son is about to be evaluated. We are sure that he has speech delay and possible sensory issues. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he is given the diagnosis of Aspergers. He's 3 1/2 and goes to a wonderful preschool with 2 wonderful teachers who are great with him. One of the teachers has a son who has aspergers and both teachers have already began implementing certain type of behavior modifications specific to aspergers such as picture cards for his routine there at school and giving him a weight rice pack to help with his meltdowns. I'm in that state of limbo that I've heard about on here and it's tough. We finally got a call from someone today and have set up his first evaluation the 2nd week of July. I've been going through so many emotions. Let me just say it's been a rough couple of years and I've always know something wasn't right about my son but my concerns were always dismissed by his pediatrician. So now ;I have feelings of hurt, anger, guilt, relief, and fear about everything. I'm sure many of you can relate. I love my son with all my heart and can't wait to figure out what's going on with him so we can help him out in coping with certain things.

I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from you ladies. I've got a ton of questions for you all but don't have time at the moment to ask them but will soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let me introduce myself.

• Hi...I can totally relate to how you are feeling right now.  My son was recently diagnosed on the spectrum.. Yes it is difficult..but the one thing that keeps me going is knowing what the problem is (it was so hard not knowing) and now that we know..we have the tools and support to give him the help he needs.  Good luck to you and your family!

• imagejenn11178:

Hi...I can totally relate to how you are feeling right now.  My son was recently diagnosed on the spectrum.. Yes it is difficult..but the one thing that keeps me going is knowing what the problem is (it was so hard not knowing) and now that we know..we have the tools and support to give him the help he needs.  Good luck to you and your family!

Thank you and good luck to you and your family too!
  • Loading the player...
  • image-auntie-:

Hi. Welcome to the best board you never wanted to join.

Not sure how closely you've been following the drama surrounding the revision of the DSM-5; Aspergers no longer exists as a dx. The Autism diagnostic criteria have become inclusive of most individuals who would have been dx'd with Aspergers or PDD-Nos under the DSM-IV guidelines. Part of the rationale was that people with Aspergers were being denied services under autism by school districts and Regional Autism Centers. California was notorious for denying needed support for kids who have Aspergers. I know families in Cali who doctor shopped to get HFA because it meant more in the way of RAC services. When Aspergers existed as a dx, it required age appropriate speech and adaptive skills (things like eating, toileting and dressing). If your son is on spectrum, you will likely get an Autism dx.

https://aapnews.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/06/04/aapnews.20130604-1 

It's great that you have teachers who are able to put appropriate accommodations in place without waiting on an official dx. A good teacher can make all the difference. 

I do appreciate limbo and how hard that can be. Unfortunately- or maybe fortunately- having a firm dx doesn't really offer the prognosis which is what we really crave- the information that out kid will be OK. DS is almost 20 and I am still no more certain of his future than when he got his dx just before he turned 7. 

Thanks for all the information! I didn't realize that aspergers no longer exists as a dx. I'm not sure what to think of that. I've also been looking at the symptoms of PDD-NOS as being familiar to us and my son but I guess that no longer exists as a diagnosis too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"