Babies: 6 - 9 Months

For those that Ferberized...

How hard was it & did it really work? I am reading the book now in preparation for implementing this soon. I want to break DS of falling asleep at the bottle then waking a couple times through the night and only going back down after some comfort from me or DH. Feeling a bit of anxiety but we all need a consistent, solid nights rest around here!!
photo MeandBubs.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those that Ferberized...

• We saw huge improvements by day 3. It was tough, but not as tough as I had feared!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • I also used it to break a sucking to sleep habit, and it was harder than I thought it was going to be. But it was also shorter than I thought it would be, and it helped a lot.

We probably had two bad nights where he cried to sleep for 30 minutes, and then it was just fussing. Then, when he would wake up "early" we would let him fuss for 10-15 minutes and most times he would put himself back to sleep. If he stayed up past that and really cried, I knew he was actually hungry. We reduced that feeding to 4 oz, and he started consistently "asking" for it between 4-5am, after at least 8 hours of sleep. It's now moved to 6:30am (woot!) for the last 3 days. We still get a random wake up here and there with teething and a cold, but it's SO much better now.

I'll warn you, it's very hard to hear them cry. And it was harder on my husband then it was on me, which was surprising. But we saw improvement quickly, and as soon as we saw it improving, we knew we had to stick to it.  

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We tried it twice, the first time for 2 consistent weeks with no luck, my LO was just not ready i guess because 2 months later we tried again and within a week he was sleeping 12 hours through the night (used to be up every 2-4 hrs to nurse). Now he hardly even fusses when i put him down to bed. We are currently working on naps but i definitely say it works!! I was against any CIO until i had tried everything else with no luck. 

Best of luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • worked on day 3 or 4.  Now he sleeps for 11-12 hours straight.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • It took about 1 week but we did it early on, so DS might not have been as ready as he would have been if he were older.  The first night actually wasn't bad, but second night was a lot worse - to the point that we thought about giving up on the 3rd night.  But we stuck to it and third night was better.  

As PP said, the crying is HARD.  You and YH have to be prepared for it and be consistent and supportive of one another.  Also, keep reminding yourself that if you give up, all the crying your LO did was all for nothing.

You didn't mention about nap training.  WE did that too and it took a lot longer than sleep training, just FYI. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • The first night was the hardest and for some unknown reason I chose to do this on a night my DH was away... for us night 1 took 50 minutes, night 2 took 20 and night 3 took 5... unless he's teething and needs extra soothing we rarely go past 5 and there is usually only him chattering and waving his blanket around and he's asleep. It's almost like afterwards he was thankful we did it because now he sleeps so well!
  • imagepb_bride:

It took about 1 week but we did it early on, so DS might not have been as ready as he would have been if he were older.  The first night actually wasn't bad, but second night was a lot worse - to the point that we thought about giving up on the 3rd night.  But we stuck to it and third night was better.  

As PP said, the crying is HARD.  You and YH have to be prepared for it and be consistent and supportive of one another.  Also, keep reminding yourself that if you give up, all the crying your LO did was all for nothing.

You didn't mention about nap training.  WE did that too and it took a lot longer than sleep training, just FYI. 

Did you do both night time sleep and naps at the same time? I know the book says to be consistent and do everything at once.  

• stgn01stgn01 member

-worked for us for both kids

-the crying is hard.  i had to do laundry to distract myself with DD

-you have to be consistent.  if you're not, don't bother

-bedtime training is easier than nap training

-you'll be thankful you did it when everyone is sleeping better

-Good Luck!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagebeachbum482:
    imagepb_bride:

It took about 1 week but we did it early on, so DS might not have been as ready as he would have been if he were older.  The first night actually wasn't bad, but second night was a lot worse - to the point that we thought about giving up on the 3rd night.  But we stuck to it and third night was better.  

Did you do both night time sleep and naps at the same time? I know the book says to be consistent and do everything at once.  

I tried the first day to do both, but gave up on the naps right away.  It was too hard to hear him cry so much all day long!  So we ended up just doing night time training first.  About a week later, after DS learned to fall asleep on his own, I started nap training but just with one nap a day.  I'm SAHM and I just could not handle hearing him cry 3-4 x a day for naps.  Also, the naps with the nap training (in his crib) were super short, like 20-30 minutes.  The other naps (either in carseat or I held him) he would nap for 2 hours.  I know he needed the rest so I let him have at least one good nap in carseat or on me each day, and a crappy nap in the crib once a day.

[BTW, we did sleep training when DS was only 4 months old.  It probably would have been easier to train him had we waited until he was a bit older; however, he was fighting sleep and naps so bad that I just couldn't do it any longer (eg bouncing him for an hour at a time for each nap)] 

• Lurker from 3-6 but thought I'd chime in......BEST DECISION EVER! My LO will be 5 months on the 30th.  We started on Sat. night.  It was also the first night in the crib, she had previously slept in her RnP.  So I was convinced that even if she fell asleep, she'd wake up throughout the night...nope!We put her in and turned her fisher price sea horse on.  She layed there for 10 mins, then cried, not even that bad for 20...out in 30 mins. We're on night 6 and she hasn't cried at night since.  Occasionally she'll fuss for 5 mins before falling asleep.  We decided to naps as well.  That's been a little tougher but sooo much better than I thought.  She'll usually still cry for ever nap but it doesn't last more than 5 to 10 mins and she's out.  And her 30 min. cat naps have extended to over an hour usually.  If she wakes up crying before 45 mins.  I leave her and she'll fall asleep for longer.  She's always been a great sleeper at night but I had to rocker her to sleep for everything and it was becoming exhausting.  GL

BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • As sad as it was to hear him cry DS went 24 minutes of total crying before he passed out. We did checks at 3, 5, 10 minutes. He passed out 6 minutes into our second 10 minute wait. Hopefully there will be less crying tomorrow night!! 
  • imagebeachbum482:
    As sad as it was to hear him cry DS went 24 minutes of total crying before he passed out. We did checks at 3, 5, 10 minutes. He passed out 6 minutes into our second 10 minute wait. Hopefully there will be less crying tomorrow night!! 

24 minutes isn't too bad!  But it is so hard to hear our babies cry.  Just be prepared that the 2nd night might be worse, but hopefully it will be an easier night for you. 

• DS has been napping for an hour and a half...went down easy - drowsy & fell right asleep. He woke up once crying but only fussed for a few minutes before he was asleep again. Don't want to jinx myself but... HECK to the YEAH!! He's doing so great and getting the rest he needs!!!!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"