Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Non Ergo carrier

Looking for a recommendation for a carrier that isn't in the Ergo/Beco price range.

Anyone have a different type that has worked out well for them?

TIA!
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Non Ergo carrier

• For a good quality carrier the cheapest will be either Ergo or Beco. I have a Kinderpack and it's like double to price, but it's awesome!

If you want something cheaper, but like the thought of a buckle carrier I would get on the b/s/t boards on thebabywearer.com. That way you can get a great carrier for cheaper. If you don't want used then your cheapest options are to make your own wrap (which isn't hard, I'm making a woven right now) or the Infantino Mei Tai. But neither of these are buckle carriers. Do not go out and buy the cheap buckle carriers in store, you will regret it. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ditto pp. I have a Chimparoo that cost more than an Ergo, but I love the fit and features. It seems like a lot of money, but they are great quality. A used Ergo (or similar) has a lot of life left in it, and is a good option to save money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNana_Osaki06:
    For a good quality carrier the cheapest will be either Ergo or Beco. I have a Kinderpack and it's like double to price, but it's awesome! If you want something cheaper, but like the thought of a buckle carrier I would get on the b/s/t boards on thebabywearer.com. That way you can get a great carrier for cheaper. If you don't want used then your cheapest options are to make your own wrap which isn't hard, I'm making a woven right now or the Infantino Mei Tai. But neither of these are buckle carriers. Do not go out and buy the cheap buckle carriers in store, you will regret it.nbsp;

Thanks! I have a used ergo and love it, but my SIL is looking for a carrier but she doesn't have the budget for one ::even used:: so maybe I will suggest a wrap for her instead.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCharlieMomma:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    For a good quality carrier the cheapest will be either Ergo or Beco. I have a Kinderpack and it's like double to price, but it's awesome! If you want something cheaper, but like the thought of a buckle carrier I would get on the b/s/t boards on thebabywearer.com. That way you can get a great carrier for cheaper. If you don't want used then your cheapest options are to make your own wrap which isn't hard, I'm making a woven right now or the Infantino Mei Tai. But neither of these are buckle carriers. Do not go out and buy the cheap buckle carriers in store, you will regret it.nbsp;
    Thanks! I have a used ergo and love it, but my SIL is looking for a carrier but she doesn't have the budget for one ::even used:: so maybe I will suggest a wrap for her instead.

You'd have to make one if you want a "cheap" wrap. A woven wrap (you want a woven) will cost you between 100-300$ depending on size. The cheapest option then is the Infantino mei tai. It's under 40$.

ETA if she can't afford a used Ergo then she probably can't afford any good carrier. Ergo'sgo for cheap when used. They are fairly cheap new, but I have many much more expensive carriers. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    Do you have a consignment store near you? I got a Bjorn for about $30. I also made a Moby-style wrap for DD. Just go to a fabric store and buy 5 yds of the t-shirt type material. Probably cost me about $15? There are all sorts of how to videos on youtube on how to tie it and make it.
    imageimage
  • imageLSU628:
    Do you have a consignment store near you? I got a Bjorn for about $30. I also made a Moby-style wrap for DD. Just go to a fabric store and buy 5 yds of the t-shirt type material. Probably cost me about $15? There are all sorts of how to videos on youtube on how to tie it and make it.

I wouldn't do either of these. Stretchy wraps do not last past 15lbs. If you go wrap, go woven. Bjorns are not good for babies. It causes hip dysplasia. 

• Infantino carries a couple of soft structured carriers, much like the Ergo. The price is around 50 dollars.

You can also look at Etsy for mei tai carriers. They're ergonomically safe for baby and you can find good ones for 40-60 dollars. Another carrier you can try is a ring sling. You can find good ring slings in the same price range. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have the Infantino Ergonomic carrier that I got at Target for $20.  I mostly use it for grocery shopping and it's worked well.  The only thing I don't like about it now that DD is older is you can't face LO out so he's always trying to turn his head around to see what is going on.

• I was able to find a K'Tan online for $30.  You can usually find them on clearance if you use google shopping.  My DS is almost 20 lbs and we use our K'Tan daily.  I can see us using it right up to the 35 lb weight limit.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My hubby and I both like our Britax carrier and LO seems to enjoy it as well.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageLSU628:

I wouldn't do either of these. Stretchy wraps do not last past 15lbs. If you go wrap, go woven. Bjorns are not good for babies. It causes hip dysplasia. 

The Moby website says it can be use with babies up to 35 lbs

Babies to 35 lbs.

Moby Wraps are the optimal baby carrier for infants. Parents of newborns have found that skin-to-skin contact with their infants, which can be easily achieved while wearing a Moby Wrap, leads to faster regaining of birth weight. The durable fabric and generous length of Moby Wraps are design characteristics intended to adapt to your growing baby. The fabric can securely and comfortably hold babies up to 35 lbs.

I thought the Bjorn only caused issues when the baby was in the outwards facing position?

imageimage
  • I have seen new Ergos at Marshalls/TJMaxx lately for $59.99.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• imageLSU628:

The Moby website says it can be use with babies up to 35 lbs

Babies to 35 lbs.

Moby Wraps are the optimal baby carrier for infants. Parents of newborns have found that skin-to-skin contact with their infants, which can be easily achieved while wearing a Moby Wrap, leads to faster regaining of birth weight. The durable fabric and generous length of Moby Wraps are design characteristics intended to adapt to your growing baby. The fabric can securely and comfortably hold babies up to 35 lbs.

I thought the Bjorn only caused issues when the baby was in the outwards facing position? 

All of this.

I have a Boba and it still works fabulously for my squirmy 6.5 month old.  I did not like the Ergo at all, so I sold it and bought a wrap-converted-full-buckle.  It was pricey, but I've learned that you get what you pay for.  Woven wraps are beautiful, but not for me. 

• Ok first I have to say that narrow based carriers do not cause hip dysplaysia. While they are not ideal or really all that comfortable for either party, they are not unsafe and there is no hard evidence that shows they cause it. If baby already has it, it could worsen it though.

With that being said, tj maxx or marshals may have an ergo for around 5060. These are legit ergo carriers.
    Infantino has come out with a few more ergonomic options that you could look into as well. I've heard good things about their mei tie which I think is usually around 30.

As for the weight limit on a moby wrap, yes certainly you could carry a bigger kid in it but I can guarantee that once you try you'll quickly see why many move on to a woven wrap or another type of carrier after about 15 lbs. Bottom line is that while by safety standards they're safe until 35lbs, because of the stretchy fabric used it will quickly start to sag and become very uncomfortable I also would like to note that you should never use a stretchy wrap for a back carry. And I'm saying this because generally its more comfortable to carry a bigger kid on your back but the stretchy fabric of a moby makes this very unsafe

And sorry for any bad formatting of this reply, I'm mobile
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebmerr:
    Infantino is probably your best bet for "cheap". We bought the Infantino Flip Carrier when DS was 4mo and love it. It's very comfortable and was under 40. We also have a Moby Wrap, which I love, but now that DS is bigger and wanted to see the world, the Infantino is perfect for us.Worst case, she buys something and doesn't like it, she can return it.ETA: We I bought our Infantino Flip Carrier, that's all they had in store that was under 100. I wish I had known about the Infantino Sash Mei Tai, because I totally would've gotten that one.nbsp;

Tottally love the mei tei sash. I agree with pp. The infantino flip carrier is great and cheap. You dont have to have one of those baby bjorns or ergo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"