May 2012 Moms

GTKY pet addition

Do you have pets in your family and, if so, how do they react to your LOs?

Beatrix (rabbit) sniffs Sophia's little fingers and tickles her with her whiskers. Sherman (rabbit) is ambivalent about her but she visits him at his cage all the time. Boddington (40 lbs mutt) loves her and tolerates most of her toddler-ness except if she tries to touch his feet he jumps away like her hands are hot coals. Other than that he gives her tons and tons of kisses and she is learning how to "pet nice."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY pet addition

• We have three dogs. A pug, chihuahua and Great Dane. They are all good with him. He really leaves them alone most of the time. But sometimes will pet them if they come up to him while he's in our lap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Now we have 2 dogs, 2 cats.

Dewi (Pyrenees): A little wary of her at first but he's coming around now that she's more like a kid. He loves kids, so now that she's more upwardly mobile he's more sure of what she is, but he's nervous of her and runs away when she crawls at him.

Loki (Border Collie): Loves her. He freaks out if he hears her crying and comes running for me, whining. He also used to lay under her crib while she slept when she was a newborn. He gets a little impatient with her when she forgets to be gentle and pulls his hair, but he just grumbles, gets up and walks away. He loves bringing her his toys to throw, they'll be best friends when she can throw farther than a foot.

Kiwi (Old Cat): Has more patience than I ever expected. She will let her pet her, and will knowing jump in my lap if she's right there. She'll tolerate a small amount o excited hair pulling and hitting before she just gets up and moves away. She's never hissed, growled, swatted, nothing. Which is more than I ever expected with her saucy attitude toward people in general.

Peep (Younger cat): Avoided her like the plague, but now that she's learning to be gentle, the cat will seek her out for pets and rubs. Of course she'll run if it gets too rough or loud.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We have a 14 year old black lab.  She has joint pain so she spends most of her time laying down and napping.  She prefers to not be around the baby because he can get loud and he obviously doesn't have a gentle touch.  She usually gives you the, "I'm in hell" look but overall she does well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • We have an older dog who was definitely used to being the baby, but fortunately is not aggressive at all. He mostly ignores DD and just moves out of her way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have an almost 4 year old boston terrier named Guinness who is very good with Corbin. Most of the time he is willing to put up with Corbin "petting" him which is really kind of just slapping, we are working very hard on teaching him to pet nicely and gently Guinness has only snapped at the baby once and it was because he was sleeping and Corbin grabbed a hunk of his skin. He didn't even touch the baby but it certainly startled him! Anyway Guinness mainly just bombards Corbin with kisses. We are trying to train both of them to leave the other alone!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • We have

Violet a 4.5 year old lab border collie mix, she is great with my oldest and with Lucas but she has middle child syndrome with my middle. She grumbles at him and whines like crazy when he crys.

Bean a 12 year old cat who is great with all my kids she sleeps with my oldest and let's the babies pet her as not gentle as they are, hair pulling included.

Black sheep a 6.5 year old cat avoids the kids for the most part
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • We have a 5 year old Chihuahua mix named Pedro. He mostly avoids her but sometimes surprises us by going to her and giving her a random kiss.My favorite time is when he helps put her to bed. They will both climb in my lap and he will let her pet him while she falls asleep. 

LO is surprisingly gentle with him. She just loves animals so much already. She lights up when she sees a dog or cat. My mom has a yorkie that she adores because he gives her kisses constantly. 

• Grommet is a Shepard mix and dotes on him like a nana, in fact lo calls her nana! Pepe is a Maine *** who wants nothing to do with lo, unfortunately lo loves Pepe and gets over excited and shrieks and crawls after our cranky kitty. He calls him nene.
  • We have a 2.5 yr old Shiba Inu.  Despite their reputation she really is very sweet with our son.  DS will grab one of her toys and put it in front of her and they'll tug together.  She never pulls too hard or gets to aggressive.  If she gets irritated she'll go into the bedroom where he can't get her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"