August 2011 Moms
Options

Decisions, Decisions

DH has been asking for another baby for months. In the past few weeks he's picked up his momentum to asking nearly daily. He even made a comment about missing the "newborn cry." 

So, I finally come around in my head. I go out and buy aspirin, folic acid, vitamins, etc....

He comes home and announces he wants to accept a job offer he received. Now, I knew he was in the market but I didn't think it would happen this quick.

Health insurance typically takes 90 days to come in effect. Last time it took us several months to get pregnant but we all know that doesn't mean anything. What I do know is that I don't want to get pregnant in the Fall and end up with another Summer baby. So, this would put us back almost another year (as a December baby I am vehemently against a Christmas birthday and November is already crammed full.) 

If my pregnancies weren't so expensive I would just go with it. However, we had more in savings for medications last time. My doctor visits are actually reasonably priced for private pay, it's just the price for meds that make my stomach churn.  I am notoriously a cheapskate.  

So... wait or go for it? I am not getting any younger, so that is a factor, too. Blugh.  

imageimage

Re: Decisions, Decisions

• Options
    Stupid question: what happens if you get pregnant during those 90 days? Does it just mean you pay out of pocket until the insurance kicks in? Or does pregnancy qualify as a "pre-existing condition" and then you have to pay for everything yourself?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Make DH negotiate the waiving of the 90 day probation period for medical benefits into his acceptance of the job offer.  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:
    Make DH negotiate the waiving of the 90 day probation period for medical benefits into his acceptance of the job offer. nbsp;nbsp;

This is am excellent suggestion. we discussed it last night. Problem os, we live in TX and the laws here are weird regarding insurance. When I got pregnant with Lincoln I spent hours researching. Like most things, TX does whatever it wants regardless of what the rest of the nation is doing. FX that is an option.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    Stupid question: what happens if you get pregnant during those 90 days? Does it just mean you pay out of pocket until the insurance kicks in? Or does pregnancy qualify as a "preexisting condition" and then you have to pay for everything yourself?

Last time insurance just covered it because it is through an employer, not private. But, now I will research things further since a lot has changed in three years. Good questions! For nearly two trimesters we paid for everything ourselves.
    imageimage
  • Options

imageMrs Case:
    imageJaysonandKristin:
    Make DH negotiate the waiving of the 90 day probation period for medical benefits into his acceptance of the job offer. nbsp;nbsp;
    This is am excellent suggestion. we discussed it last night. Problem os, we live in TX and the laws here are weird regarding insurance. When I got pregnant with Lincoln I spent hours researching. Like most things, TX does whatever it wants regardless of what the rest of the nation is doing. FX that is an option.

Tell him good luck from us!! :)  

I know it can get pricey covering OOP, and avoiding that would be ideal.  In any event, I wish you guys happy humping and a very happy, healthy pregnancy!! ;)  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That's really, really tough.  I know that for us, paying OOP for part of my pregnancy might have been a deal breaker.  Our insurance didn't have great maternity coverage, and we're still paying off a few tests that weren't fully covered.  And you can't guarantee you won't need more than the standard amount of pregnancy visits, you know?  It's tough.  I'd probably wait for my husband to negotiate the effective date for the insurance before making a decision.  Even if he could bargain down to a 30 day wait period, that would be better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageJaysonandKristin:
    In any event, I wish you guys happy humping and a very happy, healthy pregnancy!! ;)  

Ditto!

(Also, if they will cover you even if you're already pregnant, I would definitely go for it now. You'd likely only have 2 or 3 Dr visits to pay OOP, if that - and I think I'd rather go that route than put TTC on hold for a whole nother year. Mostly because I know I wouldn't be able to hold off that long. lol) 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagemelissa0726:
    That's really, really tough.nbsp; I know that for us, paying OOP for part of my pregnancy might have been a deal breaker.nbsp; Our insurance didn't have great maternity coverage, and we're still paying off a few tests that weren't fully covered.nbsp; And you can't guarantee you won't need more than the standard amount of pregnancy visits, you know?nbsp; It's tough.nbsp; I'd probably wait for my husband to negotiate the effective date for the insurance before making a decision.nbsp; Even if he could bargain down to a 30 day wait period, that would be better!

Oh, I ha e like ten times the number of visits due to a a medical condition. My frustration atems from the fact that OBs treat the condition VERY differently. Mine takes a hands on approach. I adore her and she safely brouhht my son into the world so I trust her but part of me wants to take the route with less intervention.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Interesting.  Is the 90 days a Texas thing?  An employer thing?  I've never worked for a company for which my health benefits weren't effective immediately.  And often retroactive to the first day of the month in which I started working.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"