Two Under 2
Options

Hiring Help?

Hey Ladies,

My DD just turned 1 and I'm 8 weeks pregnant with #2. My family lives in another province, my DHs family spends the winter in another country (when we're expecting the baby) and my closest friend is due the month before me sooo we're a little short on free help. 

I'm currently a SAHM and just can't wrap my head around daycares for her so young (around 19months) so we're looking at hiring a nanny to come and play with DD 3 mornings a week. Does this sound like a good plan, is there anything I'm missing or any advice you have? I live in the north so it'll be quite cold in January so they'll probably be mostly stuck in the house but I figured I could use the extra set of hands to try and do outings with 1 or both of them. 

TIA

image"">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image"">
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage

Re: Hiring Help?

• Options
    If you want to hire help, go for it, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to handle two kids on your own.  Most of the ladies on this board have done it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

If you can afford to hire help, go for it!  Personally I'd recommend hiring a cleaning service once every 2weeks or so.  I had my DH or my mom with me for the first 3 weeks after DS was born (DD was 18months).  After that I was on my own for the most part (DH works long hours with long commute).  I managed to get out with both kids almost every day.  We would go to music class, gym class, library storytime, playgroups, grocery store, the mall.

If you are going to hire a PT nanny, I would suggest sometimes having nanny watch the baby so you can do some fun activities with your older child, and sometimes have her watch both kids so you can get some "me time" to go shopping, take a nap, even just take a shower.

In your situation, I would also be looking for a few people you can call on to watch your DD when you go into labor.  Even if you are planning on having family fly in or something, you need to be prepared in case LO comes unexpectedly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally if I felt I couldn't handle both I would do pt daycare. I think it would be difficult for your child to see you giving the attention to the baby while she has to play with some other person. Even though she's young she'd definitely gain something in playing with peers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMammaBear81:
    If you want to hire help, go for it, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to handle two kids on your own.nbsp; Most of the ladies on this board have done it.

This. I guess it just seems silly to me, but I'm kind of funny about stuff like that.

If you don't think you could handle them both, I would go for daycare over a nanny. I think she would benefit more from playing and learning from peers, rather than another adult at home.

• Options
    I think that is a great idea and if you can afford it, why not use the help??

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ebp913ebp913 member

imagelkm2006:
    imageMammaBear81:
    If you want to hire help, go for it, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to handle two kids on your own.nbsp; Most of the ladies on this board have done it.
    This. I guess it just seems silly to me, but I'm kind of funny about stuff like that. If you don't think you could handle them both, I would go for daycare over a nanny. I think she would benefit more from playing and learning from peers, rather than another adult at home.

Agreed.  I know my toddler would not want to play with a stranger in my house while I am there.  If I am there, she wants me so the only way this would work would be if she left the house.  I think putting your child in daycare once or twice a week would be nice and then you could also hire someone to clean your house.  

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    lana22lana22 member

my older son occasionally would play with the babysitter in the house so my husband and i could get stuff done (when we were "checking out" new babysitters), but i would echo previous posters that your older daughter may not see it as black and white as, this is time to play with nanny not mommy.

my son goes to an in home day care about once a week to give me some 1 on 1 time with the little guy and get more done around the house, but he went there for awhile before LO was born. whatever you do decide, i'd start it before you have the kid to give her time to adjust. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    smerkasmerka member
    I had a csection with my second and my older son wasn't walking yet.  So my parents got me the best gift ever in the form of help.  I found a sitter on SitterCity.com and it worked out great.  She would do all the lifting for me until I was healed.  She was with us from September through Christmas break (she had her own school aged kid) and it worked out great.  I probably didn't need her for that long, but it sure was nice to have the help.
  • Options
    Absolutely hire help!!

Do NOT let anyone here shame you or make you feel like you should be able to cope totally alone. I do not believe anyone saying you should be able to handle it all yourself is in your situation, where you have a lack of family and friends nearby. Not many women are unfortunate enough to have a near complete lack of a support network.
    I understand what it's like, my family live in England, I live in the US. My husbands mother died a few months before DD was born and his step mother died when she was 3 months old, then his sister moved state and out closest friends moved away. Now our nearest good friends are a half hour drive away. The only family DH has left here is his dad, who looks at babies like they are aliens. I have no one.
    So yes, hire help, because having that person there even for a few hours a week can save you. I fully intend to do the same when the next one arrives in January.
    Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
    Eleanor Gwendolyn
  • Options
    JCMJCM member
    How about looking into a mom's day out sort of thing?  DD went once a week from 9-2 but there was also an option for 2 days a week.  When she turned 2 she went to pre-school 2 days a week from 9-3.  Even though I didn't have 2u2 those days were a much needed break for me.  It allowed me to get things done that would have been so much more difficult if DD was in tow.  If there are no programs like that around you then I would look into getting help in & don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"