PPD before baby is born — The Bump
Postpartum Depression

PPD before baby is born

Has anyone ever heard of PPD before baby is born. I'm 22 weeks and honestly I'm harboring so much resentment and animosity towards the baby. I feel like my husband and doctors are making me choose this kid over my DS whose 3 and this kids not even born yet

imageimageimage
  imageimage
image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb

Re: PPD before baby is born

• nlakranlakra member
    I think that you are having some normal feelings at least for me. I did have depression with pregnancy 2. Postpartum depression with 2 and I am still dealing with it with pregnancy 3. I believe the correct term is perenatal depression.
  • I also had/have prenatal depression. Its something you NEED to talk with your doctor about right away. Prenatal depression plus hormones can do real damage on you mentally. You are also at a higher risk for ppd. Please don't be ashamed. A lot of us have been there.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a psychotherapist and work with many women who suffer from depression. Sounds like your resentment is getting the best of you. It is really helpful to talk with someone professionally who can help you sort through these thoughts and emotions. No one should make you choose and hopefully you are being assertive and sharing how you feel. Hormones before during and after pregnancy can strongly impact our moods. Talk to your OBGYN about it and ask for help if it doesn't get better.
  • Don't be ashamed to ask someone for help.  I've suffered from depression since I was 11 years old and things only got worse when I got pregnant at 20.  Throughout the pregnancy I was on a medication to treat the depression symptoms so I could function normally in life and it was a god-send!  If I wouldn't have been able to ask for help, I fear things would have been much worse both for me and my daughter.

I now have a 3 week old daughter and though some days are hard, having a good support system and staying on my meds helps me through day after day and things can only get better from here.

Stay strong! And remember, asking for help doesn't make you weak, it shows that you are a strong person to admit when you need help! 

• I had bad depression when I was pregnant. I kept thinking it was "just the pregnancy" and that I would shake it once the baby was born. It got A LOT worse once DD was born. I would talk to a doctor because I know I felt a lot better once I had spoken to someone and had a plan. I hope you feel better! You are not alone!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had PPA and it started at about 34 weeks and lasted through 6 months PP.  I would definitely talk to an unbiased doctor who you don't feel is part of the "husband and doctors".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards