Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Nights/days mixed up

My 3 week old sleeps a good part of the day I try to wake her up to eat ya right!!! Then at 8 pm like clock work wide awake till about 1 am!!!!! Wants to b eating or held if not doing that then crying!!! Then once she falls asleep clock work every 2 hrs to feed till about 8 am! Don't know what to do tried the whole wake her up but let's face it u can't keep a infant up! A lot of moms say there 3 week old is sleeping 45 hrs thru the night not mine! Any suggestions or ideas of when this will stop! Thanks

Re: Nights/days mixed up

• Options
    My baby is up every 3 hours like clock work through the night. She is awake in the morning for a couple hours and then in the evening for a couple hours before bed.
  • Options

First of all, 4-5 hours is not necessarily typical of a three week old. My guy is a great sleeper but he only slept in2-3 hour stretches for a long time. I was just grateful that once he was a week old and got night and day sorted out, he went right back to sleep after each nighttime feeding.

what you can do to help baby sort out night and day: keep your house very light and noisy during the daytime. Open shades and curtains, watch tv, talk out loud, vacuum, etc. LO will nap through it, but make your house more lively. At nighttime, keep everything dark and quiet. Use just a small nightlight for diaper changes only. Feed LO in the dark and keep the tv off. Avoid any stimulation at night.. Just feed, burp, and put back down. (Of course, you can use white noise, which can help baby sleep).

also, try to get your baby outside during the day. Our pedi recommended this, so we started taking our LO for walks each evening around 4 or 5. Sometimes he slept through it, but he still got some sunlight and fresh air.

finally, like a pp said, don't compare your baby to others. Recognize that this is part of having a newborn, and it won't last that long. Enjoy the time spent snuggling with your new baby. Sleep when you can.if the baby is sleeping in the evening, you should be sleeping. If you have to, have someone come over and hold the baby for a few hours during the day so that you can nap. Ask for and accept help with chores, cooking, baby holding, whatever, so that you can get some much needed rest! And hang in there. I know everything is a blur now, but it really flies by and your baby will be sleeping longer stretches soon!

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageNicb13:
    All I can say is this is normal sucks, but normal and to stop comparing your baby to others....you'll just go crazy.

Yes.

We're going through a version of this too except he wakes up every 45 to 60 minutes to take a few sips and then falls asleep again. DS1 didn't sttn until 13 months and even then it was only the 6 hours.

I'm like a ray of sunshine and hope this morning.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"