May 2012 Moms
Options

What is this?

My babysitter pointed out to me today that DS has a small bump on the right side of his neck.  She told me that she thought his lymph nodes were swollen, but it is on the upper back side of his neck, so I don't think that is what it is.  It honestly reminds me of when I would get a knot in my neck. It is small, hard, and under the skin.  Not a bug bite or pimple, or bruise.

I guess I am just wondering if it is something that I should take him to the pedi for.  He is showing no signs of distress and is perfectly happy.  He did have a fever over the weekend but I think it was related to teething and he hasn't had it since Sunday night.  Any ideas? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker

Re: What is this?

• Options

I think I'd be concerned based on size.  If it's smaller and doesn't grow, I think I'd let it go for a week or two and then call if it's still there or seems to be bothering him.  If it's bigger or starts to grow, I'd get concerned and at least call and ask the pedi about it over the phone.  I know at my ped's office I can call and ask a nurse before I determine if I need to bring DD in. 

It could be something as simple as an ingrown hair.  If it's bothering you, I always err on the side of calling the doc's office.  I figure it's their job to make us moms feel better :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    I would call the pedi. The daughter of a girl I know had the same thing, and it turnes out to be a cyst or tumor of some sort. although it ended up being completely harmless, there is always thT possibility that it could be something. I don't mean to scare you, I really don't, but better to get it checked out and it be nothing than to ignore it and wish you hadn't.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hopefully it is nothing but I would at least call the nurse line for your pedi to ask.  They may want to see him to be on the safe side.  Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options

Weird! DD had this recently. Luckily we found it right before her 1year vaccine appointment. It turned out to be a swollen lymph node. I didn`t know there was so many lymph nodes in your neck, I was only familiar with the ones near your jugular, that everybody checks when they feel sick. The pedi pointed out a bunch of places for them. She just told me to monitor that it goes away eventually so we know it`s not a lymph drainage problem. It went away this week.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

If Sophia had the same thing, I'd probably wait a week and watch it to see if it dissipates. If it was still there, got worse or irritated her, then I'd call the pedi. When I was 10 months old, my mother found a small lump lateral to my left eye. It turned out it was just a benign cyst. They operated to remove it because it would have continued growing and, though not cancerous, would have indented my skull. I have the slightest indent from it that is unnoticeable to everyone unless I point it out. It would not have made much of a difference if they waited a week or two to bring me to the pediatrician.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"