Natural Birth

Opinions please!

Hi! I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby and usually just post in my birth month, October! I have always thought I would get an epidural but the last couple of days I have been thinking about going all natural! Just wanting some opinions from others who have went through the whole process! Thanks!

Re: Opinions please!

• I had a natural birth in a hospital, using Bradley Method (read the books, didn't have a chance to take classes) with husband as coach and a midwife attending. Was an AWESOME experience. Labored at home till transition, and was fully dilated when I got to hospital. Apparently I'm not supposed to wait that long this time :-) My husband was glad when the midwife said that, because he doesn't want to have a "my wife delivered in the car" story to tell :-)

As PP said, definitely prepare, read, take classes, etc. and be well informed. Best route to natural is stay home as long as possible (if you are going to deliver at a hospital). Ironically, I've found that women who deliver naturally generally have much less traumatic and painful birth stories to share than women who had interventions. Not always, but seems to me consistently so. I'd recommend Bradley Method (husband-coached childbirth)--or if your SO isn't up for it, consider hiring a doula. Also, pretty much anything by Ina May Gaskin is great. Crunchy, hippy stuff, but if you can look past that stuff (which always makes my DH chuckle) good stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a natural, hospital birth.  It was the most intense, painful, emotional thing I have ever done.  It was also the most amazing thing I have ever done.  I loved experiencing every pain/emotion of L&D.  We did the Bradley classes which were great.  They educated my H on child birth and trained him in how to be a great coach.  I also had a doula.  She was amazing and helped us every step of the way.  She reminded me of positions, she made sure I drank water, she showed H were to put pressure when I had back labor.  She was positive and encouraging the entire time.  I highly recommend a doula if you can afford one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • hello fellow October Mom to be and fellow FTM! I too am educating myself and would recommend visiting the library and getting as many books as possible, especially the ones mentioned by PPs. Check out The Business of Being Born and the follow up More BoBB.

I have no prior birth story, but am preparing through educating myself, using a midwifery practice and a doula also.

Good luck!
  • I just wanted to say that I've had two natural births (the first in a hospital) and I wouldn't choose to do it anyway.

Yeah it hurts, yeah it's hard work, but like pp said it's just an amazing thing to do. I can truly say that I LOVE giving birth.

I also agree with pp to get informed, stay home as long as you can, and make sure you have supportive people with you!

Best wishes, oh and welcome :-) 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"