Special Needs

XP: Help! Need a trick!

Anyone have a good trick to giving babies meds?  My LO is 7 months and on multiple meds.  I've tried squirting it in the cheek, putting it in a nipple, in her bottle, etc.  No matter what I try she just holds it in her mouth and eventually spits it out.  I'm at my quits end.  HELP!!

Re: XP: Help! Need a trick!

• I use a syringe (my boys have been on meds since 6 weeks).  Squirt it in the left cheek (for some reason left works best) kind of back and down so it slides down around the gums then blow in their face.  Babies kind of have a swallow reflex when you blow in their face.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I've heard that.  But blowing in her face just makes her catch her breath.   She doesn't swallow.  :(
  • Loading the player...
  • I lay him down on his back and use a syringe to squirt it deep down his cheek.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also I only do 0.5ml to 1ml at a time to give him a chance to swallow before his mouth is too full.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use a syringe and squirt small amounts (less then a 1/2tsp) into the back of one cheek.  And I mean back, not simply the cheek/side of cheek.
  • If the baby is on solids and eats yogurt you could try mixing it in with a little yogurt. We did that for a while when the kids were younger and more finicky about taking meds. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"