Food & Nutrition

Preparing meats for infant

We got the ok from the nutritionist to start introducing meats to LO. For me, the idea of the pre-packages meats in a jar sounds kind of yucky. Does anyone have any tips for preparing meats for infants. I was guessing that I would boil some boneless chicken breast and then stick it in my food processor? I probably need some kind of liquid though to help bind it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image

Re: Preparing meats for infant

• We did BLW, so we started meats at 6m, actually one of his first foods was a very tender piece of roast. Shredded chicken, pork from the crock pot, and meatballs were all big hits. Initially he'd just kind of chew/suck on the meat but he got good at taking bites early on. Now he likes to use his fork so I cut everything into bite sized pieces.

IMO pureed meat is icky, whether made at home or bought in a jar.

imageimage
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    I totally understand! We gave DS the jar meats but I actually always thought they were gross. We will not be doing that with DD. When DS was around 7 months we just started giving him little shreds of our meat. If it was strong in flavor we would try to wipe/rinse it off a little. He didn't even get teeth until 8 1/2 months but he could still gnaw on little pieces of meat. I chopped  some in the food processor too but rarely. It turned out fine that way too.

• Loading the player...
  • We've done all sorts of meats.  Chicken the easiest way is poach it (I prefer thigh meat as it is more tender).  Once poached, you can easily shred it by hand.  DS is 6.5 m and tonight I gave him strips of thigh meat and he fed himself.

For beef, I've done beef stew so again the meat is very tender, then I shred it w/fork and feed it to DS.  I've also given him burger meat (homemade), just cut into pea-sized pieces and he can mash it in his mouth.

For lamb, fall-off-the-bone lamb shank is again very tender and the meat falls apart.  The other night I roasted a leg of lamb and gave a strip for DS to suck on.  After he's done sucking, I cut it up into small pieces and fed it to him

Finally for pork, I have made a huge batch of pork dumplings (using ground pork) before I gave birth.  I cook the dumplings and give the filling to DS.   

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBooger+Bear:

We did BLW, so we started meats at 6m, actually one of his first foods was a very tender piece of roast. Shredded chicken, pork from the crock pot, and meatballs were all big hits. Initially he'd just kind of chew/suck on the meat but he got good at taking bites early on. Now he likes to use his fork so I cut everything into bite sized pieces.

IMO pureed meat is icky, whether made at home or bought in a jar.

I feel the same way - which is funny, because I loved chopped liver (and it was one of my son's first foods since he turned 6 months right before Passover)

We also did BLW and just gave him meats that were cut into "stick" shapes he could hold/suck/ and chew on.  Here's a picture of him sharing some steak from my meal the first week we introduced solids:

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did the boiled chicken breasts in the food processer once, and never again, lol.  It was disgusting. 

I found that the texture was better if I used the baby food mill.  It was convenient too because I could just grind up a little of whatever we were having.  I would always add fat drippings or butter/oil into it, it made it much more palatable. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • abbyfulabbyful member

Pureed meat skeeves me out.

We just cut it up into tiny pieces. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would give him bits of whatever we were eating if it was tender enough. Pretty much anything prepared in the crockpot was great. I'd throw a ton of chicken thighs in the crockpot with broth and seasoning and freeze portions for lunch, or roast beef in the crockpot is good, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't boil the chicken cook it well like normal and put chicken broth in to make it smoother. That's how we did it atleast
  • If you BF you can always use BM to thin it out
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"