Infertility

twins??

So i am about 2 weeks away from my first ER/ET and DH and I are having a hard time trying to decide whether to transfer 1 or 2 embryos. I'm a stay at home wife so day care isn't an issue and we are financially stable to have twins but as first time parents we are really nervous about the idea of twins. I really want to double my chances of success and I think we would be fine.....how did you ladies decided how many to transfer and if you could handle multiples?

Re: twins??

• The way my RE explained it, transferring two does NOT double your chance of success as each embryo has the same chance of taking.  What matters more is your embryo quality.  If you are nervous do a SET.
    Married: 7/2/11 TTC: 12/2011
    Me: 31, PCOS DH: 37, low morph and low counts

4 medicated TI, 1 IUI+Femara, 1 IUI+GonalF = BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron/GonalF (Dec 2012)= 30R, 21M, 21F with ICSI, 18 HIP frosties!!!
    FET in August 2013 

http://i45.tinypic.com/21pym9.jpg

• i guess i worded that wrong because my thought was if one embryo doesnt make it but the other one does than im only going thru one ivf cycle instead of doing two cycles but i was wondering how people decided to transfer more than one 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've always wanted twins so this was easy for me.  In fact, I was willing to 'risk' 3 to get 2, but my RE will not transfer 3.  I have twins in my family, my brother and sister, and my mom says they were the easiest of her 4 kids.  They cry together, but they also soothe eachother.  As PP said, my RE says 2 does not increase your success, but I would think that if 1 doesn't 'stick' by chance, then maybe the other will.  Good luck!
    Siggy Warning BFP/Loss Mentioned
    Me: 30, DH 30 Started TTC 7/2009
    9/2010 SA=Normal 9/10 HSG Dx Both tubes dilated; Rx bilateral salpingectomy & IVF; 9/2010-12/2012 Financial break
    1/2013 Bilateral Salpingectomy 5/2013 Recent SA shows borderline morphology
    5/2013 IVF w/ ICSI #1 6/25/13 ER=11R 9M 9F  6/28/13 3dt of 2 embies (8B & 6A-); no frosties: BFN
    10/2013 IVF w/ ICSI #2 11/12/13 ER= 9R 6M 6F  11/15/13 3dt of 2 embies (8A & 8A) 3 frosties (2 day-5, 1 day-6)
    11/22/13 (7dp3dt) +hpt  11/26/13 (11dp3dt) BFP Beta=141 11/28/13 Beta 2= 372 EDD 8/5/2014
    3/20/14 Fetal Demise 20 wks F/L 17 wks D&E attempted 3/21/14 & 3/22/14 Born Still 3/23/14  I love you B.T.
    "Sometimes you try your hardestbut things don't work out the way you want them to." –Nani (Lilo & Stitch)
    “All I can say is, it's a sort of kinship, as though there is a family tree of grief. On this branch, the lost children, on this the suicided parents, here the beloved mentally ill siblings. When something terrible happens, you discover all of the sudden that you have a new set of relatives, people with whom you can speak in the shorthand of cousins.” ― Elizabeth McCracken
    imageimageimage
    8/2014 FET 8/7/14 Transferred 1 5-day blast (4AA): BFN
    TTCAL September Siggy Challenge:  Animals in Clothing

Will add soon

**All AL/AIF Welcome**
  • My sister and I are only 9 months apart in age so it was nice being in the same grade as her and having someone my age to go through everything with so i can relate to wanting twins....but im still nervous about one lol but i guess thats normal at least i have a couple more weeks to think about it!
  • It depends on each specific RE but transferring 2 increases your odds by 1-3% if at all. Carrying twins is also a much more difficult pregnancy with higher risk factors. 

That all being said, we are totally OOP and anything we can do to increase our odds we are going for but we are also just fine with twins. We are transferring 2.

It's a difficult decision and there will be factors to consider the day of, like how many high quality embryos you have to transfer that day (one great one vs 2 decent quality embryos).

Good luck.  

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wasn't a difficult issue for us--had no problem transferring 2 and I hope I am now pregnant with twins.  But understand that age, finances and embryo quality all play a part.  At 42 with 5 frozen embryos, there was no way I was going to do five separate FET's.  LOL...But if I was in my 20's I may think differently.  There is really no right answer because every woman and situation is different.
  • krdesikrdesi member

My RE explained to us that transferring two embryo's has almost the same odds of pregnancy as transferring one does and he said that they decide how many to transfer based on your age and health and quality of the embryo's you have. If you have super embryo's then they probably wouldn't transfer two because they have a higher chance of them both sticking, but if you have two moderate embryo's they might transfer both, hoping that at least one sticks and keeps growing.

Our doctor isn't giving us the choice, since it is based on the embryo's and they definitely don't aim to produce twins as there are more complications that come with multiples.

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• scorchscorch member
    If you have good embie quality and and your lining is on track, do a SET.  My last pregnancy we did 2 embies and they both stuck and we have 2 1/2 year old twin girls.  But if I had it to do over again, I would have done 2 SETs instead of 2embies in one FET.  
  • Brutal honesty: It is safer for you, and safer for your embryo/baby to do an eSET and have a singleton pregnancy. Even with an eSET, identical twins can happen, and occur at higher rates with IVF than in the normal population. Your pregnancy will almost certainly be harder with twins, and you will likely face bed rest, higher medical costs, and sometimes a challenging start to life for your babies if you need NICU care (much more likely with twins, since they are much more likely to deliver early). Definitely know the risks of transferring two. Also, read through the PAIF or PGAL stories - many women there have suffered an early or mid-pregnancy loss of one twin, sometimes risking the loss of the other baby. There are numerous stories over there to read. 'm not trying to scare you, but we see this question on here a lot, and I think most people gloss over the risks of choosing to transfer two.  

My RE said what the others have said - transferring two will only increase odds of twins, not our overall odds of pregnancy. Due to my age, my RE does NOT recommend transferring two because my odds are strong with one since I am young. And you are younger than I am. 

It's very personal, so as long as you make an informed decision, you should be in good shape. Best of luck!  

| Married since 2008 | DH and I: Both 30 | Me: Endometriosis and Carrier of an X-Linked Dominant Genetic Disorder | DH: Low Morph | Planning IVF with PGD and PGS in 2013 | Freeze-All IVF #1: March 2013 ER 3/26. 29R, 12M, 11F. 4 5AA frozen blasts. Freeze-All IVF#2: May 2013 ER 5/15. 31R, 21M, 20F. 6 5AA frozen blasts. Our PGD probe was completed in late June (total of 20 weeks to develop). PGD and PGS Results came on 6/19: 3 healthy embryos (normal chromosomes and unaffected by my family's genetic disorder). FET #1: July 2013 Natural Cycle - Cancelled due to insufficient lining (only got to 7.5mm). FET #1.2: August 2013 - Medicated Cycle with Lupron & Estrogen Patches to build up lining. Single embryo transfer was 8/23. Beta #1: 240! Beta #2: 578! U/S on 9/19 at 6w4d: We saw the heart beating at 131bpm. Second U/S on 10/4 at 8w5d: We saw the heart beating at 178bpm. EDD 5/11/2014
    PAIF/SAIF/Everyone Welcome! 

• No it doesn't increase your chances to transfer two. I was given a choice by my RE to transfer 1 or 2 because this was my fourth ivf. I chose two because my husband is a twin and we want lots of kids. 
    Five IUI 's and two 3 day IVF transfers and two chemical pregnancies. Unknown to me at the time was that I was hypothyroid and had endometriosis. All that heartache and money and I would have never gotten pregnant. Time for new RE. New RE found the thyroid and endo. I had another 5 day transfer in April when all 7 embryos arrested on day four. Transferred three morali and didn't conceive. Thyroid function is excellent now. DH SCSA came back perfect. Now for IVF number four in June 2013. I had two perfectly expanded blasts put back and five frosties! I have never gotten this far! Now to wait for blood test on 6/26. My heart is In my throat! Please let this work, BFP with HPT 7 days and 8 days after transfer.
  • kt9613kt9613 member
    imagekrdesi:
    My RE explained to us that transferring two embryo's has almost the same odds of pregnancy as transferring one does and he said that they decide how many to transfer based on your age and health and quality of the embryo's you have. If you have super embryo's then they probably wouldn't transfer two because they have a higher chance of them both sticking, but if you have two moderate embryo's they might transfer both, hoping that at least one sticks and keeps growing. Our doctor isn't giving us the choice, since it is based on the embryo's and they definitely don't aim to produce twins as there are more complications that come with multiples.

Totally agree. I was told the same by my RE. I was also at risk for OHSS so they were very cautious.
  • imageHappy_Yahoo_Personaler:
    sig warningWe were 100 OOP for your IVFs.nbsp; We chose to transfer 2 both times.nbsp; Our fresh cycle failed.Our RE wanted to do 1 but was willing to do 2 because of the money issue.nbsp; We opted for 2 because we felt that if one of them failed to grow/attach, we still would have hope that the other would.nbsp; We were told that each embryo had a 50/50 shot of sticking and that our risk of twins was about 2530.nbsp; Both of us are healthy, 30, and we had great egg quality.We both knew the risks involved with a twins pregnancy, but were more than willing to risk it.nbsp; We knew we would never reduce a pregnancy, no matter what personal beliefs.nbsp; So far, the only complication we've had is my sugar levels which were an issue even before I got pregnant.nbsp; And we know that our risk of having a Csection birth is increased over that of a singleton.Good luck to you!

This is exactly how I feel. We transferred 2 on June 15th. I actually have a lot of friends with twins and out of 4 sets only 1 baby has ended up in the NICU for a few days. But, 6 babies of my friends singleton births have ended up in the NICU and one passed at 8months in utero. Things can happen either way. I personally am ok with twins but agree it is a personal decision. We are also 100 OOP.
    Happily Married since 2007! TTC #1 since 2/12! Me(29)-PCOS(Metformin) DH(30)-MFI, 10/12 SA=Azoo(Clomid started), 12/12 SA=0.1mil, 2/13 SA=2.1mil/Abnormal Morph. IVF #1 scheduled May/June 2013
  • imageRosyGlow:

Brutal honesty: It is safer for you, and safer for your embryo/baby to do an eSET and have a singleton pregnancy. Even with an eSET, identical twins can happen, and occur at higher rates with IVF than in the normal population. Your pregnancy will almost certainly be harder with twins, and you will likely face bed rest, higher medical costs, and sometimes a challenging start to life for your babies if you need NICU care (much more likely with twins, since they are much more likely to deliver early). Definitely know the risks of transferring two. Also, read through the PAIF or PGAL stories - many women there have suffered an early or mid-pregnancy loss of one twin, sometimes risking the loss of the other baby. There are numerous stories over there to read. 'm not trying to scare you, but we see this question on here a lot, and I think most people gloss over the risks of choosing to transfer two.  

My RE said what the others have said - transferring two will only increase odds of twins, not our overall odds of pregnancy. Due to my age, my RE does NOT recommend transferring two because my odds are strong with one since I am young. And you are younger than I am. 

It's very personal, so as long as you make an informed decision, you should be in good shape. Best of luck!  

Ditto.  We have transferred one each FET and I haven't regretted that decision.  FET one ended in chemical pregnancy and FET two, the verdict is still out.  If you are financially stable, it makes even more sense to only transfer one.  That way, if it didn't work, you can do another round.  Good luck in your decision.

<Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married June 2011 Dx: anovulatory due to prolactinoma (1.5cmx 1.5cm in 2006)
    April 2012: MRI- questionable cyst 8mg by 12mm in pituitary ; referred to RE by Ob-gyn after amenorrhea x 4+ months, provera ineffective, low estrogen level
    cycle 1: May 2012, clomid 50mg; cycle cancelled, thin lining, no response
    cycle 2: June 2012, femara 5mg; cycle cancelled, no response
    cycle 3: July 2012, femara 7.5mg; cycle cancelled (largest folli on Cd12 & cd 16: 11, lining 4)
    Repeat MRI July 25,2012- Cyst unchanged, likely old infarction.
    Aug. 8: met with RE, move to injectables if HSG and SA normal
    Aug. 23: HSG all clear; DH- perfect
    Switched to a new RE in early Sept. IVF here we come
    Genetic testing reveals: Fragile X- Intermediate risk/grey zone.
    IVF#1: ER 11/30: 14 retrieved, 10 mature, 7 fertilized. E2 prior to trigger 5200. Decision made to freeze 6 embryos and transfer later due to OHSS.
    IVF#1.2/FET #1: estrogen injects start 1/18, FET delayed to try to thicken lining. lining 5.4mm. FET- 2/18- transferred one 3AA expanded blast. BFP 5dp5dt. Beta #1- 2/27 9dp5dt- 102.27 beta #2 3/1: 147 :(, beta #3 3/4: 268 told to stop meds and let nature take its course. requested 4th beta (3/6); Beta hell for 2 months.

FET # 2: endometrial scratch 5/6, added estrace vaginally and ASA to delestrogen and PIO. June 10- transferred one 4AA hatched embryo, BFP 4dp6dt, Beta 1 (9dp6dt) 187, Beta 2 (11dp6dt): 412; Beta 3 (15dp6dt ): 4452. U/S #1- one beautiful embryo with a heartbeat of 133 at 7 weeks.  8 weeks: heartbeat 156. EDD 2/26/2014: born 2-3-14 induced due to Pre-E and HELLP at 36w5d.

12/1: met with RE to discuss trying for #2

• We did SET with our fresh cycle for all the reasons people mention above. The odds didn't increase with 2, just the odds of twins and the risks associated with carrying twins. Not only risks for the mother, but the babies as well.

Not a huge factor, or all that important, but if you have twins you have to be prepared to answer the question about fertility treatments. Nowadays people assume you used fertility meds if you have twins. And people will ask. My DH thinks I am dumb for caring about that, but it's just not something I want to talk about for the next 10-20 years of my life!

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• I do think that there are risks ether way, and all this information is helpful thanks
  • krdesikrdesi member

imageMwhigham22:
    I do think that there are risks ether way, and all this information is helpful thanks

Out of curiosity, what are the risks for only transferring one embryo?

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagekrdesi:

imageMwhigham22:
    I do think that there are risks ether way, and all this information is helpful thanks

Out of curiosity, what are the risks for only transferring one embryo?

I think she just meant that complications can occur with singleton births and pregnancies, as well.
    Happily Married since 2007! TTC #1 since 2/12! Me(29)-PCOS(Metformin) DH(30)-MFI, 10/12 SA=Azoo(Clomid started), 12/12 SA=0.1mil, 2/13 SA=2.1mil/Abnormal Morph. IVF #1 scheduled May/June 2013
  • yes that is what i meant complications can happen whether its twins or not
  • delatldelatl member
    My husband and I have been going round and round on this issue because we feel differently about it. He is just completely dead set against twins. I'd be happy either way but agreed from when we got married that we would only have one child. Now that I'm going through treatments, I feel like I'd do anything to get pregnant, even risk twins, but he is just not willing. So at my ET two weeks ago (BFN), we transferred one good blast. Luckily, we have many frozen from that cycle. So I will be doing eSET FETs. I'm not thrilled about it but I realize that it's a lifelong decision and we have to make it together.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"