C-sections
Options

has anyone planned repeat c-section, but ended up with a vbac

Hi all-

I'm currently 29 weeks pregnant and schedule my repeat c-section after my next appointment for when I'm 39 weeks or later.  I was also told that if I go into labor on my own then they won't intervene with a c-section unless necessary, which means I could have a vbac.  Has anyone here planned for a c-section and ended up with a vbac? Just curious about the experience, incase it does happen...

Re: has anyone planned repeat c-section, but ended up with a vbac

• Options
    I haven't as I am only 18 weeks along but I'm kind of hoping this is what happens with me.  I really would prefer to not have another c-section but with my location and lack of options I can't go past 39 weeks.  Hopefully I go into natural labor before that though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am hoping for this to happen. My dr will be scheduling a csection for 40 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It hasn't happened yet, in not pregnant.

With my DD I went into labor before her scheduled csection date. Labor was super fast and within two hours of starting mild contractions, I showed up to the hospital at 8cm!

I had to have a RCS due to a complication from my first csection. But IF there is a next time my doctor said if I showed up in labor they'd let me vba2c.
  • Options
    The hospital where I live would immediately prep the patient for surgery if they showed up in natural labor.  I asked what would happen if I were to get pregnant again, showed up in labor and refused to sign the surgical consent.  My midwife told me that the administration would attempt to pressure me into signing the form or try to transfer me to another hospital (which would be about 45 minutes away, maybe farther).  She said the only way to get a VBAC here is to labor at home and show up at least 8cm dilated.
  • Options
    If I happen to go into labor before my repeat csection date they will prep me for surgery as soon as I get to the hospital.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemysticl:
    The hospital where I live would immediately prep the patient for surgery if they showed up in natural labor.  I asked what would happen if I were to get pregnant again, showed up in labor and refused to sign the surgical consent.  My midwife told me that the administration would attempt to pressure me into signing the form or try to transfer me to another hospital (which would be about 45 minutes away, maybe farther).  She said the only way to get a VBAC here is to labor at home and show up at least 8cm dilated.

No matter the reason for the RCS? That makes me sad.  OP, I would have been allowed VBAC had I gone into labor before my RCS was scheduled but it didn't happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetracy41:

imagemysticl:

No matter the reason for the RCS? That makes me sad.  OP, I would have been allowed VBAC had I gone into labor before my RCS was scheduled but it didn't happen.

The hospital has a VBAC ban so that is the primary reason for every RCS done there.  There may be other medical reasons that come up but the minute you test positive you know you will be scheduled for a RCS if you plan to deliver at that hospital.

• Options

Why don't they just plan for you to VBAC? That seems really odd.

I guess I would do a little reading and develop a strategy for if you go into labor on your own.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:

I guess I would do a little reading and develop a strategy for if you go into labor on your own.

At my last appointment they said I was unlikely to have a successful VBAC (40%) due to a couple different factors, and they do the RCS at 39 weeks.  I think their thought is that if your body chooses to go into labor before then to let it do its thing, since in theory that would be better.  With my first I was induced at 41 weeks 2 days and had a 9lbs 8oz baby due to genetics (which a big baby is likely to happen again.)  So I think thats why they do the c-section earlish.

The last week or so reality hit me that a VBAC could happen, and that I should prepare for it. (Last time I didn't think I would have a c-section, so I should learn from that experience.)  I just wanted to know if anyone had experience this, since its the reverse of what pregnant woman are usually planning. 

• Options
    For those of you who can't have a VBAC due to hospital, I'm sorry.  It seems wrong to make someone drive an extra 45mins because they want a choice in something.  I think if you're a good candidate for a VBAC and want one, they should honor that decision.  
  • Options
    imagestrikeofamatch16:
    imagenosoup4u:

At my last appointment they said I was unlikely to have a successful VBAC (40%) due to a couple different factors, and they do the RCS at 39 weeks.  I think their thought is that if your body chooses to go into labor before then to let it do its thing, since in theory that would be better.  With my first I was induced at 41 weeks 2 days and had a 9lbs 8oz baby due to genetics (which a big baby is likely to happen again.)  So I think thats why they do the c-section earlish.

The last week or so reality hit me that a VBAC could happen, and that I should prepare for it. (Last time I didn't think I would have a c-section, so I should learn from that experience.)  I just wanted to know if anyone had experience this, since its the reverse of what pregnant woman are usually planning. 

Ah, gotcha. I guess I don't get why they would let you try for a VBAC at 39 weeks, but not at 41. Especially since most women aren't going to go into labor before 39 weeks (not trying to make you feel bad for your decision, hope it doesn't come off that way!).

Maybe look into reading "Birthing From Within" - it's pretty hippie, but it has good advice about coping with labor, things like that. Plan to stay upright as long as you can (whether or not you would want an epidural). And FWIW, I had a VBAC with a 10.5 lb baby, so big baby VBACs are possible. Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    imagenosoup4u:
    imagestrikeofamatch16:
    imagenosoup4u:

Ah, gotcha. I guess I don't get why they would let you try for a VBAC at 39 weeks, but not at 41. Especially since most women aren't going to go into labor before 39 weeks (not trying to make you feel bad for your decision, hope it doesn't come off that way!).

Maybe look into reading "Birthing From Within" - it's pretty hippie, but it has good advice about coping with labor, things like that. Plan to stay upright as long as you can (whether or not you would want an epidural). And FWIW, I had a VBAC with a 10.5 lb baby, so big baby VBACs are possible. Good luck!

Thanks for the resource. Since this is only my second I don't know the likelihood of the baby coming early (I know some people follow a pattern, but my mom had 3 early pregnancies, 1 late, and 1 on due date), plus since the section is scheduled during the 39th week(no official date yet)  so it could be at the end of the 39th week. I guess I just wanted to get an idea of what it was like to have a vbac when you thought you were going to have a RCS, and I haven't run across anything online or in person that wasn't from someone planning a vbac.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"