Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Using a cosleeper and moving to crib

My daughter has slept in a co sleeper in our room. She is now 9 weeks. How old was baby when you started putting them in their crib and what was your process like getting them there? I occasionally put her there for a day time nap but she still likes to be held instead. Any tips to ease the transition?

Re: Using a cosleeper and moving to crib

• Options

imageascott654:
    My daughter has slept in a co sleeper in our room. She is now 9 weeks. How old was baby when you started putting them in their crib and what was your process like getting them there? I occasionally put her there for a day time nap but she still likes to be held instead. Any tips to ease the transition?

DD was 3 months old (she outgrew the cosleeper).

Truthfully? We had a really really hard time. It was a lot of me getting up to soothe and put back down inside the crib despite the screeching/wailing/throwing herself against the sides. I'd let her freak out for a little while, then go in and soothe. It usually took an hour or so of repeated intervals of a minute or two to get her settled. I didn't care for it, but I thought that we just had to do it.

I couldn't really use Ferber because letting her go longer than one or two minutes at a time really really bothered me. Eventually we got a different rocker and I would rock her to sleep with some music. I would make sure she was completely out and then put her in the crib. That worked until she was 13 months. Then she discovered how to climb out.

We had a couple good falls out of the crib onto the hardwood floor (heart stopping by the way) in the middle of the night before I gave up on the crib. We've moved to a toddler bed combined with bed sharing. We have yet to get a full night's sleep in the toddler bed because she wakes up and realizes she is by herself. Also, the rocking chair, she figured me out around 18 months and refused to let me sit with her in it at night. So that went out the window.

Now we put her to sleep in the toddler bed and work on trying to put her back into it if she wakes up. Honestly though, I haven't invested a lot in trying to seriously get her to stay there because with this new baby coming it will all go to hell anyway. So, just like potty training, I'm playing loose and patient. I figure she won't go to college bed sharing with me anyway and I have to choose my battles.

Seeing as how I don't get much sleep now anyway any I do get is precious. I don't want to spend hours going back and forth to the toddler bed right now. I will toughen up and do it again soon (probably when I go to sleep train my little boy in the future).

Good luck. Remember do your best but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"