Preemies

Incompetent cervix

Hi! My son, Maxwell was born at 304 due to incompetent cervix. Are there any moms out there who had IC their first baby and went on to have a term baby for their second child? Did you get the cerclage, progesterone shots or both? How soon after the cerclage was removed did you go into labor? We want another baby but I would love to hear some positive stories first : TIA

Re: Incompetent cervix

• tlk432tlk432 member
    Congrats on your baby!  My kiddo was at 34 1/2 weeks because of pProm and I.C. I'm currently 37 1/2 weeks with my second. I had a cerclage placed, progesterone shots and took Procardia twice a day. I've decided not to have my cerclage removed and will be having an RCS at 39 weeks, but my OB does not think I'll make it to then because I've been having BH/contractions since about 20/22 weeks or so. 
    image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had my D at 26w5d due to IC.  I had a pre-pregnancy transabdominal cerclage placed last year.  Google abbyloopers for more info.  I'm currently 30w pg with D2.  I've been doing weekly p17 shots since 18w.  I've had cx length checks every two weeks since 18w.  My cervix is currently measuring over 4.  So we don't have our success story yet but we are getting close.  GL! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats on making it so far!! I would love to even make it to 34 weeks next time. What is RCS?
  • I talked to my OB about the transabdominal cerclage and she said it is really reserved for extreme cases. What made you and your doctor decide to go that route?
  • tlk432tlk432 member
    imageBabymaxwell513:
    Congrats on making it so far!! I would love to even make it to 34 weeks next time. What is RCS?

Repeat csection, and thanks, we're excited too!
    image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • +ASH++ASH+ member
    My mom had an incompetent cervix, lost two boys after she had my sister (one due to IC before they realized she had it and one due to extenuating circumstances). She got pregnant with me and the doctor put some internal stitches in - I was born around my due date. 
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • I had my daughter at 25w0d due to IC.  In March I had a transabdominal cerclage placed.  Im not pregnant yet and we dont plan to start trying until the end of the year but Im glad to have the TAC in place right now.  

In my case it was very clear that I had a classic case of IC.  I had painless dilation and very few contractions before I got to 8cm dilated.  I had previously had a uterine septum removed as well.  I felt confident that the TAC was my best option because it was clear that I had a congenitally very weak cervix and my worry with a TVC was that I would funnel to and through the stitch.  

I wrote more about my experience here https://www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com/2013/03/transabdominal-cerclage.html

I will have P17 shots and will be closely monitored as well.

good luck! 

mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• imageBabymaxwell513:
    I talked to my OB about the transabdominal cerclage and she said it is really reserved for extreme cases. What made you and your doctor decide to go that route?

My situation is similar to thishappyhouse.  I have a congenitally weak cervix (as does my sister who lost twins) with painless dilation to 5cm then emerg c/s due to breech baby.  The main reason I chose the TAC was to avoid bedrest.  I have a job that I have to keep and can't work remotely.  Also I have an extremely active toddler.  The other big factor was just peace of mind.  I would have been a nervous wreck with a TVC.  I'm fortunate in that my insurance didn't even question it when the pre-auth came through.  $30k surgery vs. potential $1MM NICU stay?! 

I've heard of tons of success stories with a TVC though.  Generally they do their job just fine.  

• caovercaover member
    I had my twins at 25w due to IC. I unexpectedly got pregnant and had a TAC placed at 10 weeks pregnant. I am currently 28 weeks and doing great. I take weekly progesterone injections. I do have BH's often and wish they would prescribe Procardia but my OB is confident. 
    4 m/c between 2007-2012 Twin girls born 15 weeks premature on 8.17.10 BFP 1.24.13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"