December 2011 Moms

When LO doesn't eat their meal

What do you do? I'm not going to be a short order cook or keep giving him the same unhealthy crap that he WILL eat like chicken fingers! I made him a grilled cheese, pears and some turkey and he ate 2 bites! So frustrating I need a vacation!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: When LO doesn't eat their meal

• Following this post to hear from others!

Since DS is small [22 lbs, almost 18 months] I always will make something else if he doesn't eat the first thing. Such a bad habit! He eats pretty much nothing all day long at daycare...SO frustrating! I'm completely jealous of those that have LO that will eat anything! 

To add to this post, anyone know when this picky phase ends?! Ever??  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS eats best when he doesn't have a lot of snacks. There are also certain things he likes better than others of course, but he'll go through waves where he doesn't even want to eat his favorite things sometimes.

If he doesn't want the main entr?e of what I make I have been tending towards going ahead and giving him some extra veg and fruit, and of course he mostly likes the fruit. But I guess I struggle with telling him "this is dinner, eat that or that's it" b/c I don't think he understands that when I say it at this point. Although maybe I'm being a wimp. :(

He's getting closer to understanding but I don't know if he's there yet.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Loading the player...
  • imageMustardseed2007:

But I guess I struggle with telling him "this is dinner, eat that or that's it" b/c I don't think he understands that when I say it at this point. Although maybe I'm being a wimp. :(

He's getting closer to understanding but I don't know if he's there yet.  

I'm with you on this, I asked on the 12-24 board but feel like the mom's who responded have older LO's and they understand better. When I tell him this is all you're getting for lunch I don't think he understands it or he wouldn't of been crying during his nap hungry. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I could be completely wrong about this, but I feel like children know how much their body needs. Some children need more food; some need less. It's very normal for children this age to eat like little birds. DD on the other hand could practically eat her body weight in food. She'll chow down a 2 egg omelette with mushrooms and cheese, she'll eat enchiladas and anything spicy, she almost always finishes what I give her. I'm not trying to brag, I just genuinely think that children will eat what they need. DD still only weighs about 23 pounds despite being such a big eater.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RicolaRicola member
    If he doesn't like/eat what we are eating, I will offer a PB sandwich. That's the only option for him though...either what we eat or PB sandwich. He usually really isn't hungry and that's okay, too. He then catches up the next meal. (He is also small and weighs only 22 lbs 4 oz at 18 1/2 months)
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• I asked about this at our 18 month appointment because L used to be such a great eater but then got really picky. The doctor said not to worry too much about it.  She said to try to put something in front of him that he'll like, but not to make special meals (I always try to have some fruit on hand at meal times because I know he'll eat that).  What you make is what he gets.  She also said if he is throwing food and not eating, after 20 minutes, let him go.  She also said not to make a big deal out of it in any direction--don't force him to eat, don't react if he doesn't eat.  Barring any health issues, some skipped meals won't hurt them. 

I found it really frustrating too, so I understand where you're coming from, but after talking to the doctor I felt much better.  Now, I just make him what I make him and either he eats it, or he has to wait until the next feeding time. 

• I'm right there with you. DS has always been a picky eater, but will eat way more at Daycare. Being around the other kids helps tremendously. He only wants the unhealthy stuff at home, but I have had trouble not giving him what he wants cuz I feel like I'm not feeding him or something.

At daycare he'll so many more options. At home I'm limited to chicken nuggets, pizza & goldfish crackers. Even foods that he HAS eaten before & I know he likes, he refuses. I think partially, he is just very very tired by the time he comes home from daycare. It is WWIII when he starts crying & screaming when he doesn't get what he wants. He absolutely refuses to try almost anything new. He doesn't even know what it tastes like.. he just refuses based up on looks!

He has his 18 mo appt Thursday this week & I plan to ask the Dr about it. If she says it should be ok to do, I plan to start putting the food in front of him, letting him pick at it as long as he wants, whether he eats or not. But not make him anything special. At least I know he is eating well during the day at day care so I don't have to feel TOO bad. I'm trying to think of it as "eating training" kinda like some of us went through with sleep training. Hoping it is only bad for a little while& he will eventually give in & start trying foods.

My 2 December boys

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"