December 2010 Moms
Options

Meds during pregnancy

I finally broke down and got a script for celexa from my obgyn. I am 37 weeks and I just can't handle the anxiety anymore. She was 100 comfortable giving it to me and warned that the baby could have some crankiness for a few weeks due to withdrawal.

I am still so scared to take it even though I'm dying for some relief. Has anyone taken this while pregnant or even while breast feeding?

I would have posted this on my BMB but they are not so nice and I trust you guys so much more.
TIA

Re: Meds during pregnancy

• Options

While I've never been on celexa while pregnant, I have been on meds, and here's my standpoint:

Doctor's don't give out meds like candy to pregnant women, so have faith in your OB. She sees your need and is comfortable prescribing it. At this stage in the game, your baby is considered full-term, and therefore the celexa shouldn't affect any development. 

If you're dying for relief--take it. yes, you may risk "withdrawal" but wouldn't you rather be a relaxed mama dealing with a baby in withdrawal than an overanxious mama trying to juggle life with 2 kids?

I say, take it. I do think there are posts like yours on the Postpartum Depression board, though, if you're looking for other input. 

Good luck, and be kind to yourself. 

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options
    imageheyitsme:

While I've never been on celexa while pregnant, I have been on meds, and here's my standpoint:

Doctor's don't give out meds like candy to pregnant women, so have faith in your OB. She sees your need and is comfortable prescribing it. At this stage in the game, your baby is considered full-term, and therefore the celexa shouldn't affect any development. 

If you're dying for relief--take it. yes, you may risk "withdrawal" but wouldn't you rather be a relaxed mama dealing with a baby in withdrawal than an overanxious mama trying to juggle life with 2 kids?

I say, take it. I do think there are posts like yours on the Postpartum Depression board, though, if you're looking for other input. 

all of this! If you were in need enough to ask for it, and you were in need enough that your doc prescribed it, take it! You need to take car of yourself, don't be afraid to do so. Big hugs, hope you find the releif you need :)
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you both so much for your input. I agree with everything you said. I guess the doubts I'm having are even more pronounced and worrisome because of the anxiety.
  • Options
    imageheyitsme:

I also have zero experience with this but fully agree with this post. It sounds very reasonable. You now know the side-effect, and it sounds like dealing with the newborn who has withdrawal is better than not taking it at all right now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Trust your OB and your gut. Big Smile

Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly with the rest of your pregnancy and delivery.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"