VBAC

Into and questions on switching providers (kinda long)

Hi Everyone!

My DD was born via scheduled c-section in June 2010. It was a day after my due date. I am now 9wks pregnant with my 2nd and am looking into vbac.

My current OB has told me time and time again that she is supportive of me pursuing a vbac. However, I do not have a clear understanding as to why I had my c-section to begin with.

Factors were:

*big baby (8lbs 5oz, though she was measuring bigger via u/s 9lbs 7oz)

*baby had not dropped

*after the surgery we were told she had a "short umbilical cord" and this is why she hadn't dropped. I was promised I would have ended up with a c-section either way

I have an appt scheduled for Monday where I plan on discussing the details of my first delivery and to question exactly what her policy is for vbac.

My question to the group is: did anyone have a csection for any of these reasons? Is a "short cord" a common problem? How about a baby not dropping? If these things repeat themselved what is my shot at a vbac?

I have requested my records to the hospital so that I can cross-reference what she tells me on Monday.  

If I decide to switch providers, how do I go about it? There are plenty of vbac friendly obs in my area. So I'm hoping finding one won't be too hard. Do I just need my medical records? Anything else a provider would need at this point? Assuming I'll be switching at 10-12weeks along..

Any advice?

Sorry for the rant. Thanks!!

Re: Into and questions on switching providers (kinda long)

• Those are weird circumstances.  I've never heard of short cords, but since they didn't know that when they decided to do a c-section I think it is irrelevant to why they they decided to do a c-section. 41w1d it is actually the average time for first time moms to go into labor so it should not have been because you were 1 day over your due date.  Many women don't drop until right before they go into labor so that also should not be the answer.  The size really isn't too crazy so unless there are some other circumstances not mentioned I would switch.  They sound c-section happy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to agree with PP.  If they recommended a C-section for big baby, they are a C-section happy practice, and I would be very concerned about bait and switch.  Definitely ask lots of questions about VBAC restrictions and check with your local ICAN chapter to find out if others have experience with this practice and/or what providers are best known for VBAC.

I had a 9 lb 8 oz baby last time after a failed induction at 41 weeks.  I was induced because of low fluid and failed NST.  My doctor is not in any way worried about baby size and does not put any restrictions on me.  He is comfortable letting me go to 42 weeks and then will discuss gentle induction before going straight to C-section.

• Loading the player...
  • You weren't induced? An OB who recommends a CS a day after someone's due date bc baby is measuring 9 lbs isn't someone who do VBAC, I'm guessing.

I would ask her very specific questions about what she will and will not allow, but definitely talk to providers who you know truly support VBAC before making your decision. I didn't choose a practice until 10 weeks or so. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Agree with PPs.  I'm surprised your doctor didn't meet with you prior to your discharge or at your follow-up appointment to go over everything with you.

Based on everything you've shared, if a VBAC is really important to you, I would definitely switch providers in your case.  I'm actually thinking about switching from my OB to a midwife practice, and my OB is very pro-VBAC.  

I'm curious about the answers others may have to your last question about what kind of medical history a new provider would need too.

PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"