Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Water

My baby is 5 months. Has anyone given water to their babies? 

Re: Water

• Options
    Our pediatrician doesn't recommend it until after 6 months, even then in small 1-2 ounce amounts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemben1119:
    Our pediatrician doesn't recommend it until after 6 months, even then in small 1-2 ounce amounts.

This. My pediatrician also says at least six months and that water is like food at this age - more for play and to get used to it. You wouldn't want your LO to fill up on water and not nurse/take formula. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started putting water in a sippy cup when we feed DS his baby food more so he gets used to handling it. We just started, he will be 6 months on the 30th. He puts the sippy to his lips, but really doesn't get any. However, he is learning fast so it won't be long before he figures it out. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    no, and I don't plan on it.  I never did with DS until he was 1 and using sippies.  If DD takes sippies earlier, maybe.  But I'm not thinking that will happen before 8 or 9 months. Just for practice though.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was told absolutely not before 8-9 months. But I'm EBF and apparently if ut's hot enough for baby to dehydrate my BM will adjust for that and increase the water content (per my pediatrician and kellymom). It may be different for formula fed babies, so I would ask your doctor if you FF.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do! I give her enough to sip on, not an entire bottle. She has a great appetite, eats solids & breastfeeds.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    my dr said I could give her water as long as I boiled it first.  He said this from her first appt cause all she wanted to do was nurse.  She didn't like it at first but now that it is hot out I have been giving her a little now and then

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imagemben1119:

This. I was told it's more to help them learn to use a sippy cup than anything else in the beginning because they're getting enough hydration from breast milk/formula. Until they actually start taking less milk [around a year] I don't think you really have to worry about giving water.

• Options
    If I make cereal I use water vs formula because DD gets the higher end of the spectrum of what she should of formula per day. I also give a sippy cup of water with meals as a teaching thing, but right now she just mouths it and anything that goes in mostly ends up down her bib. DD1 was totally into the sippy cup at 4m and pedi thought it was awesome because she was getting plenty of formula etc and transitioned off her bottled completely by 9 or 10 months.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have since my son was 5 months. I just put about 2 oz in a first stage sippy cup and give it to him if we're out and about. he'll only drink like a half an oz, but it's more to introduce the sippy to him. he also eats soilds 3 times a day, and a bottle before bed so water doesn't really interfere with feedings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"