Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

D and C Experience

I am posting this because I really appreciated reading about the experience of others as I waited for my appointment. Some of the information is graphic. 

I had my procedure done yesterday. My situation consisted of going in for a 8 week appointment on 6/4 and measuring only about 5 or 6 weeks. Going back for a follow up 10 days later and the doctor stating that he was 99% sure that the pregnancy was not viable and was seeing only growth of the sacs with no heartbeat or fetal pole. I started bleeding following that appointment. The lack of viability was confirmed 5 days later with a final scan.  Between the last scan and the D and C, I really started to bleed and lose tissue/clot.  

The procedure was done at the outpatient surgical center at our local hospital. We had just been there a month earlier to have a circumcision revision performed on our 16 month yr old son. Many of the nurses were the same. They were all very sweet, kind and helpful. After checking in, I was brought back for the pre op. They took my weight and blood pressure. Then I was asked to strip down to just a gown and socks. I had to request the fabulous mesh panties with the enormous pad to wear. The pre op nurse talked to me about the whole procedure and hooked up an IV. Then my husband got to come back and sit with me. The doctor came in and the anesthesiologist.  They both explained the procedure and I had to sign some consent forms. I was given a drug to make me relaxed that started to take effect as they were wheeling me into the OR. I remember being moved from the bed on wheels to the surgical bed. Then I woke up in the recovery room. My husband got to come back right away to say hello and then I recovered with just the nurses until I was coherent. (Probably about 20 minutes). Then they moved me into a big reclining chair on wheels and moved me another recovery room. I think that they took my IV out at that point. My husband came into the second recovery room where I ate some crackers and drank a ginger ale. I wasn't feeling any pain at all. After about 20 more minutes my husband pulled the car up to the closest entrance and then they wheeled me out in a wheelchair. 

When we got home, I used the bathroom with no pain. I ate some toast. Then I laid on the couch and slept for a few hours. I spent most of the day on the couch. My bleeding continued as the same pace as before the procedure. I did not have any pain.

My son got home from daycare in the late afternoon and was unfortunately running a high fever. My husband was home so we parented together with him doing most of the lifting until bedtime. I laid on the couch more and headed to bed early.

I had some mild cramps this morning and took ibuprofen. The bleeding has slowed down substantially. I figure that I will try to take it easy through the weekend and hope to get back into my exercise routine on Monday.

I feel like I have spent the last month anxious or consumed with grief. In the midst of the loss of the pregnancy I lost two childhood friends to unexpected and untimely deaths. I have eaten my way through the grief and pain.

Today feels like a new day and I'm feeling hopeful about healing physically and emotionally.  I was given a pretty good pamphlet about miscarriage at the hospital yesterday. It inspired me to look for a special angel or heart shaped ornament for our Christmas tree. My husband and I will know that it represents this little angel that we lost but we will never forget. It is weird, but it feels good to connect this memory to something physical that we can keep in a special place. 

Thank you for all of your support.  Thoughts and prayers to each of you as we all grieve our losses.  

Re: D and C Experience

• Options

So sorry for your losses.

My d&c experience was a lot like yours. I bled on and off for about 1 1/2  weeks.

Little to no pain at all.

Good luck to you. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"