Pre-School and Daycare

games for 4 yr olds on car trips?

anyone had success w/ any games w/ this age group on a road trip? I saw the eeboo travel bingo on amazon and was thinking of giving it a go...figured we could play teams or something if they can't do it. My biggest hesitation is that I often feel like they can't see out the windows well b/c of the side flap things on the carseat...?

we could spot letters on signs maybe too. Any other ideas? We have an upcoming 12+ hr trip and generally just watch DVDs most of the time on long trips but now that they're getting older it seems like we could try some other stuff...

Re: games for 4 yr olds on car trips?

• We do a lot of language games.  One of their favorites... You know the Beatles song that has something like "You say yes, I say no"  or whatever... I use that tune, but change what I'm looking for:

Opposites (Me: You say stop     Them: I say go) 

Synonyms

$- I say quarter, You say ______ (25 cents)

Phonics :  I say a, you say _____ ( word begins with)

Rhymes

Can you keep them up past their bedtime and then drive through the night when they are exhausted so there are only a couple hours?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I saw this on Pinterest.  It looked good  because you could create it as easy as you needed for your child.  I've never tried it though.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-a-recycled-bubble-121176?image_id=1572368

I planned on using Google images and not draw. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • My 4 year old loves "I spy". Ya know, I spy with my little eye... something... blue!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • For car trips, we like:
    AquaDoodle
    Mini MagnaDoodle
    Hidden picture books
    HighLights magazines

• we do a lot of I spy, watch DVDs, play with the aqua doodle, and we have a few vetch computer like things, and listen to books on tape or kids songs. 

• imageali0608:

I saw this on Pinterest.  It looked good  because you could create it as easy as you needed for your child.  I've never tried it though.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-a-recycled-bubble-121176?image_id=1572368

I planned on using Google images and not draw. 

Ooh, this is a great idea!  

And yeah, I'd be using google images too.  Otherwise I'd get "Um, Mommy, what's this supposed to be again?"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We played guessing games instead of having actual physical games.  We do a game like 20 questions, but I give the kids the first letter and they have unlimited questions.

"I'm thinking of something that starts with the letter B!" and have them ask yes or no questions to narrow down the possible things.  Is it an animal?  Can you eat it?  Is it bigger than a toaster?  Do we have this at home?  Can you buy it at a store? etc.  This is a great pre-reading and logic game.

We also look for state license plates.  As soon as my kids could write every letter in the alphabet, I had them keep the list of abbreviations.  Now that they're older, when we find the plate, they have to tell me the state capital as well.

We look for the entire alphabet in order on road signs.  You can make this game more complicated by having them look for whole words on road signs when they can read a little. 

Once, I made my own travel bingo with stuff I knew we'd see on our trip to the beach.  Pre-made travel bingo games sometimes have stuff that you don't see or stuff that's so common on the trip that the game is no fun.  If you're driving somewhere you've been before, make the bingo cards yourself.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    Ditto the hidden pictures books. Highlights makes ones now with stickers you peel off and put on the picture once you find it. Kept my DD busy on our last flight. My DD is really into Trouble right now, and I know they sell a travel-sized version. What about some of the Melissa and Doug lacing things or the water painting books? My mom found a Disney one where once the picture dries, it disappears so DD can paint it over and over again.
    imageimage
  • Thanks all, good ideas! I did get the highlights books for a recent flight so maybe I will get more...I get sick of turning around to pick up dropped markers and books constantly though, lol...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"